Tracker Steering Wheel

Already looking ahead to the offseason and thinking about some upgrades I would like to make to my PT190. One of them is the steering wheel. I would like something that is on the tourney edition boats, something with a little more bling. Has anyone swapped out steering wheels an if so what was involved and how difficult was it?

2. Member
    Removal is fairly easy with the right tools. Remove center cap, remove nylock, then use a gear or wheel puller... don't loose the woodruff key. I recommend applying some grease to the tapered portion of the shaft during reassembly, might make it easier to remove in the future if need be.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 10-02-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

3. Member
    Brush up on your expletives.
    Steering wheels can be a pain in the tush to get off the tapered shaft. I remove the center cap and nut securing the wheel to the shaft and try to get the wheel off with a wheel puller. Normally it won't budge so I soak it in a good penetrating oil for several hours then attack it again. Eventually it will break loose. As R2Tracker suggests, coat the shaft with grease before installing the new wheel.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

4. Member
    Thank you !

5. Member
    You probably know this but most AutoParts stores loan tools. Last time I did a steering wheel I borrowed their puller kit which included lots of adapters/spacers etc making my job much easier.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

6. Member
    Thanks again... Not to change topic but Joe3buck3 how do you like the x7 spitfire prop? I have the aluminum version with the same boat except it's just the regular 4 stoke and I can get 50mph with the motor mounted in the top hole. I raised it one hole and my speed dropped to 48mph but the overall handling is much better... I almost feel like a 20p would work perfect since the 19p wanted to over rev but they don't make a 20p 4 blade so I want to try the SS spitfire.

7. Member
    My engine is mounted in the 3rd hole. It was in #1 from the factory. With my 115 Pro XS and only me in the boat I can hit 51mph at about 6240rpms. Cruising at 42-45 is how I normally ride. Handling is much better with the X7 and raised engine and I never over-rev.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

I have never found a steering wheel puller necessary on these not much to pull on with a plastic wheel anyway. The few times i had mine off and upgraded i simply remove the nut and thread it flush with the stud. Spray some penatrating oil on the shaft. Put upward pressure with one hand and my knees and one quick hit with a ball peen hammer and its off. On a tapered shaft the vibration from the strike is the key.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.