Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ChampioNman or Jughead316 I need help and advice

Hello,
    Motor is a 1992 Johnson 120 V4, Model J120TLAND, S/n G03002936.
    Here is my problem.
    Motor will only run for 5 seconds. It is running on choke injection. This is some type of fuel delivery problem.
    If I spray gas/oil mix into carb intakes it fires right up until gas is gone
    Here is what I have done.
    Disconnected VRO and runnning on 50/1 premix
    Replaced stator as power coil tested bad.
    Replaced trigger while top of motor was exposed.
    Cleaned carbs. All four carb inlet nipples were plugged with something I never was able to see. Ran carb cleaner through them until I could blow air freely through.
    Went through the throttle plate sync according to Johnson factory manual.
    Previous owner replaced powerpack one year ago.
    Can the Joe Reeves timing method be used on this motor?
    What do I do next?
    Thanks
    rcb130

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Dont know much about these motors but the Joe Reeves method will get you into trouble. Fred and Jerry will help. My advice, time it right. They know these motors very well.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    So carbs had gunk in them but where never dis-assembled/rebuilt properly with kits and gaskets(blew gunk towards/into carbs?)? Did you just get motor or has it sat for a long time? If you have owned for awhile, when and how did issue start? Have you pulled a fuel line(after VRO pump) and crank motor and see if it is pumping fuel? Does pump bulb stay firm when pumped and after starting? Just a few questions that need asked,,,,details details,,,help diagnosing.
    Last edited by omcforever; 10-02-2018 at 10:09 AM.

4. Member
    omcforever,
    removed carbs and carb bowls. blew carb cleaner thru needle valve seat to carb bowl inlet. Just got motor, had same issue when I bought it. Pulled fuel line and it is pumping gas. checked pulse fitting with vacuum gage and it is working as it should.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Didnt clean passages or remove and clean orifices in carbs? Are the fuel bowls full of fuel after trying to start or when it seems to run out of gas(float chamber bowl plug)? If you pump the bulb till it gets hard and try to start, does it start and run for a few seconds?

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Just as a side note, most all OMC gaskets/o-rings, ect are one time use. Carbs need to be thoroughly cleaned and serviced when apart and especially when suspecting fuel delivery issues. Heading to work,,,hopefully we have asked enough questions and got the answers to them to help the techs....

7. Member
    will only try to start when choke is used or fuel sprayed into carb throats. Bowls are full of fuel. Carbs were not cleaned properly and rebuilt.

8. Member
    Please answer those questions by omcforever, he is a good one. Did you just get the motor or is it the boat and motor? Any junk in the fuel filter? You must rebuild the carbs, but we need to find out what and where that junk came from.

9. Member
    Motor only. The filter is an inline add on, no junk visible. I have ordered kits for carbs, will post back when complete.

10. Member
    While I have the carbs off, is there anything in the throttle body I should be checking for clogs?
    Thanks
    rcb130

11. Member
    I cleaned and rebuilt all four carbs with new kits. The metering holes in the throttle body are all open. Still will only fire on fuel from choke or if I squirt fuel into carb throats. Carb bowls are full. What to check next?
    ChampioNman or Jughead, please chime in. I have no means to test motor other than on muffs.
    Thanks
    rcb130

12. Member
    We should do a compression test.

13. Member
    316Jughead,
    Did that previously
    1,3 120
    2-120
    4-110

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check which way the red lever is pointing on your primer solenoid. It needs to be pointing down towards the bottom of the solenoid.

Did you check your float drops when you rebuilt the carbs? If your float bowls are full of fuel, you should be getting fuel to the motor.

15. Member
    red lever is pointing down towards solenoid body. float drops are all level with float bowls with float bowls upside down.
    How do I verify float bowls are full, other than opening drain and watching for fuel to run out? They could be half full and
    fuel would run out.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I don't know you're the one who said the bowls were full of fuel. Only way I know to do it would be to fill a carb bowl full of fuel and dump in into a container, mark the container, then prime the system and drain the carb from the drain plug and see if there is the same amount as the container.

17. Member
    Sounds like a good test. I had figured that if fuel ran out of the drain, the bowl would be full.

18. Member
    Have you tried giving it throttle when running on the primer to see if it would run above an idle? When you spray fuel mix, do you think any of the carbs are working, or do you think not even one carb is working?

19. Member
    It does not appear to me that any carbs are working. As soon as sprayed fuel mix is burnt, the motor quits.

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May have to go a little deeper. Remove the back side of the airbox off of the carbs if you haven't already. On each side of the carbs you'll see two Allen head screws. Those hold the reed blocks to the intake. Make sure they are all seated and tight. You may have a bad intake manifold gasket too. Sounds like you've got a bad air leak somewhere that isn't allowing the fuel from the carbs to be brought into the motor. Maybe even bad carb mounting gaskets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast