Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    No allen head screws visible. Carb mounting gaskets are new, part of rebuild kit. I did find on the fuel distribution manifold a pinched outlet nipple. I have ordered a replacement manifold. I do not think one pinched outlet would not let the motor run. I did notice that the primer bulb will not get hard. It is a new bulb with old lines.I will replace the entire primer bulb configuration with new.
    Will post again once I get new manifold.
    thanks for the help to date
    rcb130

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They are there, they are on the intake manifold either side of the carb opening. I'm not talking about the rubber gaskets that go on the back of the carbs that are part of the carb kit I'm talking about the two hole paper gasket.
    It goes behind the throttle body, between that and the intake. It looks like this.

3. Member
    So you haven't tried giving it throttle while it's running on the primer, or is that the only way it will run? You did make sure that all the passages in the throttle body and carbs were open, not with air but like the manual. Was there any junk in the carbs? If it won't run on the idle or the intermediate circuit, you may want to check the calibration pocket in the throttle body for that gunk you found, if you think that stuff might have got in there. I have had a carb problem and found junk in there. I believe there is a passage right at the pocket make sure that alcohol flows through it. You know that little clip that's on the seat and float, I think that has to be put on a special way, I don't remember for sure. Your lucky to have Fred helping, we sold several of these motors on our deck boats, but not many problems with them. If all that stuff is OK and you have full fuel in the carbs, then I agree with Fred we may have to operate.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.

4. Member
    ChampioNman and 316jughead,
    thanks for all the help so far. I have ordered new paper gaskets for the intake manifold. There was very little junk in carbs. Calibration pockets are clear, alcohol flows thru all four pockets. All float clips are facing the port side of the motor. It will only run on the primer or if I spray fuel into carbs. Will post again when new gaskets and fuel manifold are in place.

5. Member
    Should these carbs have the gaskets under the float valve seat? They were there when I removed the carbs to rebuild them so I installed them on the rebuild.

6. Member
    I don't think we use a gasket under the float valve on any of the plastic carb body carbs. But boy, it has been a long time since I worked on one of your carbs. I still maintain a few of the Intruder/Faststrike motors with carbs. Mine included.

7. Member
    ChampioNman,
    You are spot on with the air leak problem. While waiting for the intake manifold gaskets to arrive I checked a few other things.
    With everything hooked up I cannot get the primer bulb to get firm.
    If I check the fuel line just past the primer bulb by clamping it off, the primer bulb gets firm.
    If I check the fuel line at the fuel pump inlet by clamping the line off, the primer bulb gets firm.
    If I check the fuel line at the fuel pump discharge side by clamping the line off, the primer bulb never gets firm.
    This would lead me to believe the fuel pump side of the VRO is bad. If so, would it give me the start and run for a few seconds that I am
    experiencing?
    Thanks
    rcb130

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes, the proof in the pudding would be to pump the bulb and see if it keeps going. If it does then the fuel side diaphragm is probably bad.

9. Member
    Yep, Most of the time, if the fuel side is bad pumping the bulb will keep the motor running.

10. Member
    gentlemen, I am back.
    New paper gaskets in place. New fuel pump (OMC 438559) in place. Same problem, runs on primer fuel and quits. I am still not able to get a firm bulb. Where can I get the lead shot that is on the side of the carb bowls? Can I use the Joe Reeves timing method on this motor?
    I want to pop the old lead shot out and verify that the passage to the idle and intermediate nozzles is open. Can I use the proper size shot from a shotgun shell?
    Thanks
    rcb130

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb130 View Post
    Can I use the Joe Reeves timing method on this motor?
    No! And if you could, that method is never accurate. Seen it close and then seen it 5-6 degrees off. Too many variables in the electronics, motors, ect. Do it the right way,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

12. Member
    ChampioNman or Jughead,
    What do you think of my last post? What to check next? shot size?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Core plug on the throttle body or the BB in the carb bowl? Be careful if you are working with the BB in the carb bowl, they are in limited supply and not available from many parts houses. If I was going to do anything I'd pull the bowls and place them on a piece of glass and check for warping. The bowls you can find are pricey at $90 each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12