New to me 929 with 250 Pro XB

I just got my first bass boat. I've been bass fishing for a long time starting with my introduction into tournament fishing from my grandfather when I was 12 or so. Anyways was curious is anyone still is running this combo and what kind of top speeds you've got. Seems like these have gone by the wayside. Would just be nice to hear some setups and what you're getting out of them. Currently hitting about 72 with a 26P Tempest Plus with a super heavy load (full tanks, full gear, and co angler + warm temps). Usually drops to about 69 once the livewells are full too. Not sure what prop to pad are. Also, getting on plane is a PIA when loaded down. Currently has 3 large PVS plugs in the prop. Any insight and or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I had a 2006 929 DC with a 225 Pro-XS. 10" Slidemaster plate with a 25P Tempest Plus prop set to 3.5" below pad. It would run 66-68 with moderate loads. It sounds like you have pretty good numbers if you are carrying a heavy load and running in hot conditions. A four blade prop might help you get a better holeshot but will typically cost you a few MPH on the top end.

The 929 is a solid fishing platform. I enjoyed mine and I am sure you will enjoy yours!!!

3. Member
    I have a 05 ,929cdx with 250 xb
    I have 12 jackplate , 25 3 blade fury with no plugs
    12 foot talon , with just me and half tank of gas , full live wells , full lockers
    yesterday I was at 5800 rpm and 68.7 on the gps before the chine walking got bad ,
    hole shot is not too bad

I just installed bosean 2stage carbon fiber reeds , and got the injectors cleaned, also adjusted the butterflies so the are at 90degree and full throttle.

Never gonna be like the newer boats on holeshot. Rear tank design means only carry the fuel you need to get better holeshot. Start adding more weight to the rear like Talons or Power Poles and it will get worse.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Couldn't a custom foil help holeshot?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

6. Member
    Would pulling out any of the PVS plugs help? I've also noticed a lot of mods for the Pro XB any of those worth the investment? Thanks for the responses!

Yes pulling plugs one at a time might help. Gotta look at rpms during holeshot.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Running an 07 929CDX with a 225 Opti, 24P Tempest, full load, 2 guys,10 fish, 4- S31 batteries, and a shit ton of gear and electronics, best I can get is 58-59,
    2007 Nitro 929CDX, 225 Mercury Opti.
    Hummingbird Helix 10/1199 Lowrance 9/12 carbon/Ultrex

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyc View Post
    Running an 07 929CDX with a 225 Opti, 24P Tempest, full load, 2 guys,10 fish, 4- S31 batteries, and a shit ton of gear and electronics, best I can get is 58-59,
    You should be able to squeeze more out of yours than that. What kind of RPMs are you getting? What is your prop to pad set at?

10. Member
    A 250 XB (Xtreme Bass) is a very different animal than most Mercurys, it is very powerful. One of my friends has one on a 2100 Gambler and it will get into the low 80s. I know your hull is much heavier, but low 70's sounds about right to me. That engine is an absolute beast, enjoy it. There's a world of difference in this and a 225 opti.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    A 250 XB (Xtreme Bass) is a very different animal than most Mercurys, it is very powerful. One of my friends has one on a 2100 Gambler and it will get into the low 80s. I know your hull is much heavier, but low 70's sounds about right to me. That engine is an absolute beast, enjoy it. There's a world of difference in this and a 225 opti.
    Then a gambler? Maybe 200lbs more. Not that much.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    I have pulled out 2 of the PVS plugs and hole shot has greatly improved. Even with full tanks and full livewells it jumps right up and gets on pad. Weather had finally cooled off here in Arkansas so I've got to run it in ideal operating temps. Squeezed out 74 on GPS the other day. Then went down to the Arkansas River on Lake Dardanelle and going with the current hit 76. That was a fun ride back down river.