Water pump issue

0G694257

I took my boat out yesterday it ran fine fished ran different place noticed it started to run different alarm beep getting hot so I trolled back to dock like to never got it on the trailer no power . It done this before took it back to the place that rebuilt my engine they had put wrong size key in the shaft so on my trips breaking it in it failed , now same thing it was barely peeling trickling out . Haven't had time to flush it out to see if I picked up trash .this boat has just been broken in it doesn't get used like it should. What could be the problem it has a new pump in it could something he wrong with the shaft ?
    It is a 1998 mercury 225 efi
    Last edited by the bull; 10-04-2018 at 04:32 AM.

2. Member
    I would start by disassembling the pump, IF you are certain the motor was overheating.

3. Member
    When it started to beep i noticed it was not peeing very much barley coming out that was at 3800 rpm it kinda was running funny too . I assume motor was getting hot

4. Member
    Overheat should be a steady tone not a beep.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    It eventually got to that it was barely peeling don't know if that helped on not going full boiling

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

make sure it has the steel shim upgrade, lower housing gasket,not the old cardboard type,,

8. Member
    Back flushed hooked up the muffs started it up peeing looked good held my hands on the block never got hot . Too it to the lake ran it hard none stop no sirens peeing good idle in loading it up small beeps ???? Are there any chance I picked something else up are there screens in not seeing or checking

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to define "small beeps".

SOLID TONE (BEEEEEEEEEEEP)

-or-

Four Beeps, Pause, Four Beeps.

Each has a different meaning.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I'm thinking it was 2 to 4 beeps no steady tone

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Then it's not an overheat warning. Overheat is a steady/constant tone.

See: WARNING HORN

12. Member
    If this is true why wasn't it peeing hard but just tricking out . And after I back flushed it ran fine never alarmed until idling trying to load boat ?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would have to provide water pressure readings from your gauge in order to know whether it's really a problem with water supply, a restricted telltale circuit, or some other problem.

All we can tell you is that an OVERHEAT warning (on this engine) is a SOLID TONE (BEEEEEEEEEP).