2018 Triton 17 tx set up help needed

I bought my first aluminum bass boat after owning 3 fiberglass ones. I am having a porposing issue with it and was looking for some help with it. It's starts proposing at 37 mph @5k rpm.

Motor is a 75 Mercury 4 stroke
    18 pitch Mercury Vengeance 3 blade prop
    Motor is mounted in its lowest position.
    It was previously one hole up from lowest but was moved down by the dealership trying to resolve this issue. This did nothing to change the issue, same problem, same speed at the same rpm

Is this just the nature of a shorter aluminum boat or is something not right? I know this motor maxs out at around 6k, so I know there is theoretically more than I can get out of it. Hole shot is fine, drives well, no issues except for this one.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Ah, yes. The porping issue. 1st. Move your motor up to hole #2. 2nd. Be sure you should have a wedge welded to the bottom on each side at the transom. 3rd. If 1 and 2 don't help, Spitfire X7 17" prop. With a Spitfire, you can go to Hole #3. I have a Laser2 20" and an X7. The Laser is faster, but the X7 carries the boat like a dream!
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have an SP185 that actually thinks it’s a porpoise! Getting a good prop def helped but my p2p is still in the 5.5” range so I have to move the motor up! I’m going to go all the way up, it’s on the 2nd of 4 holes now. I’d love to get a 4” manual jackplate but I can’t just yet.

I got a powertech nrs3 and that helped me a lot. My boat is super weight conscious! By myself with a full tank I rarely porpoise, but loaded down with another person and full tackle it likes to bounce! Play with weight distribution first!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    I have a rt178 with a 75hp and the motor came mounted in the second hole from the top. The boats do seem trim sensitive and seem to need very little trim, I carry a heavy load and the boat seems to run best between 1/4 and 1/2 trim and my max speed has been around 38 and with the stock tach around 5400 rpm. I do have the 17p Spitfire X7 prop and that helped some with the handling and porposing. in my case I don't think there is much more speed I can get with my setup.

5. Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I may just live with it. I can't see where getting into a new prop and all of that is really going to make that much of a difference. I'm good with 37!

6. Member
    Move the motor to the third hole. You are too deep.

7. Member
    I was wondering this when they said they were dropping the motor. I always thought going up would help it. I may take it by and get them to do it but I'm tired of driving to the dealership.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Get a friend with a GoPro, or buy one, and load the boat like normal and see where your cavataion plate is when you’re at full throttle..I’ll bet you won’t be able to see it! I did this and my cav plate isn’t visible when I’m on plane at wot, so the motor has to come up!

A good, stern lifting SS prop will help a LOT with handling, staying on plane at lower speeds, etc. Made my boat 100% different but I won’t see the full benefit until my motor is in the right spot...and it’s not.

My boat goes 40-41 but it’s not about speed, although it may pick up 1-3mph, it’s being able to use the trim to help drive the boat!

my boat is limited right now because my motor is too low, period.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I have a 18'5" Crestliner VT 18 with a 115 on it and I was getting bad porpoising in the 2nd hole at 39-40 mph, moved up to the 4th and now don't get porpoising until around 45-47. I plan to change out props when I have some extra cash.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    TJ, what’s your p2p? On mine I can raise the motor 1&3/4” which would put me about 4.25p2p...I’m sure it will help but having a 4”jackplate would just be so much easier! If I’m raising the motor I’m going all the way up since I’d still be at 4.25 p2p.

When you raised your motor did you get more useable trim?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Get a friend with a GoPro, or buy one, and load the boat like normal and see where your cavataion plate is when you’re at full throttle..I’ll bet you won’t be able to see it! I did this and my cav plate isn’t visible when I’m on plane at wot, so the motor has to come up!

A good, stern lifting SS prop will help a LOT with handling, staying on plane at lower speeds, etc. Made my boat 100% different but I won’t see the full benefit until my motor is in the right spot...and it’s not.

My boat goes 40-41 but it’s not about speed, although it may pick up 1-3mph, it’s being able to use the trim to help drive the boat!

my boat is limited right now because my motor is too low, period.
    I have been looking at Powertech props. I will probably stop by and get their advice since I work not too far from their shop. It definitely sounds like it needs to come up 3 holes from where it is now. Thanks for all of the help.

12. Member
    Powertech are good folks.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    PowerTech are good folks, they are VERY good at picking the right prop the first time and will swap it out for $30 if you don’t like it...much easier to get a good prop when you can try different ones and have experienced people helping you! Good luck!