Thread: Fishing pliers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fishing pliers

What are my choices for top quality fishing pliers used mainly for hook removal?

2. Member
    These are the best I have used and I have spent $50 on a pair before. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHERMAN-P...sAAOxyJX1S-122

I know there is a fancy brand that the salt guys used but these are perfect for me and I got a lifetime supply of them for a few Jackson's.

3. Member
    The very best for me is my 6" long nose from Ace Hardware with spring loaded handles. In a leather sheath from Amazon, zip tied to my front seat post.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

I've had these 8" Berkley's going on about 10 years now. Every now and then I soak 'em with spray lube and they're good as new. A pair of hemostats is good to have too, the ability to lock onto a hook is a good thing sometimes during a difficult extraction.

Ranting incoherently

5. Banned
    These are cheap, but I have tried expensive ones and always come back to these.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...l-hook-remover

6. Member
    These will cut braided line with ease and they don't rust. I have been using the same two pairs for years now. Full disclosure: I sell them, but I truly believe they are the best.

https://heavymetalfishing.com/produc...rs-with-sheath

Just about any pliers will work for freshwater application. Now if you want the undisputed best of the best the Van Staal's are the Rolls Royce. I have some full time guide buddies that all use them and they give me crap for my old die hard Channel Locks. No way I can justify the price for what they do.

Cuda. Great products.

I just bought a nice new set of ChaneLLocks to put in one of my multiple tool boxes at home, replacing the rusty set of Chinese needle nose pliers that now will go in my fishing stuff...and work perfectly fine for that, OBTW. I won't feel bad when I lose them or drop them overboard, but as crappy as they are, that's not likely to ever happen.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    These are the best I have used and I have spent $50 on a pair before. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHERMAN-P...sAAOxyJX1S-122

I know there is a fancy brand that the salt guys used but these are perfect for me and I got a lifetime supply of them for a few Jackson's.
    ^^^ These are the ones I've using for years. Great stuff!

Any decent, needle nose pliers will do for most hook removal. But, get a pair of hemostats to use if the hook is near the throat or gills.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Shimano Brutas pliers are excellent.

13. Member
    Speaking of pliers. I recently picked up a pair of D-Barb pliers.

https://www.leefisherfishing.com/products/d-barb-cutter

Saturday I was fishing a tournament on a windy day. I hooked a dock rope and attempted to remove the hook. It was imbedded and there was no way to remove it. The wind was wedging me between a pontoon boat and the dock causing the rope to tangle around my trolling motor. My first thought was to break my line and figure how to get my boat untangled. Instead I grabbed my d- Barb pliers and was able to cut the hook into small pieces and remove it from the rope. Amazed at how well they can snip a hook.

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Just about any needle nose pliers will work. No need to buy anything special.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

15. Member
    Any will work. If you fish where there are pike get long ones to keep your hands away from crankbait hooks.

Stardard Leatherman been in th boat 25 years. SS. Few other handy tools on it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticslobra View Post
    These will cut braided line with ease and they don't rust. I have been using the same two pairs for years now. Full disclosure: I sell them, but I truly believe they are the best.

https://heavymetalfishing.com/produc...rs-with-sheath
    Do these have spring loaded handles?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

18. Member
    While you are considering pliers to remove hooks from the fish, look at one designed to get the hooks out of you. These Manley side cutters have compound leverage and are the perfect tool for cutting the split ring attaching a treble hook to a crankbait, when the hooks are in you. Decide if you need a pair by trying to cut a split ring with tools from your current tool kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Manley-2-Inch.../dp/B00AU5V8DI

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Do these have spring loaded handles?
    Yes they do

20. Member
    I have 3 pairs of cheap academy brand needle nose pliers in the boat. If they fall in, no big loss. I also have the Buck Splizzors, and it may be the best tool in my boat. The scissors are the sharpest I have ever seen. They cut 80 lbs braid like a hot knife, though butter. They are great for trimming weedgaurds on jigs, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast