Talk me out of it - or into it

Contemplating selling my G3 1756. And getting a pontoon to redo. Would be anywhere from 14' - 20'.
    Or a tin needing work to redo.
    I fish two lakes, one is 500 (50hp limit) acres, the other is 1300 (25hp limit) acres.
    My wife says I'm nutz, she's usually right. To shut up and be happy, just fish.
    I'm kinda itching to redo something, which requires selling what I have.
    Let's here it

I would have to have another boat(kayak, jon) before considering a "redo". Unless you like "redoing" better than fishing.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by tjsellsfords View Post
    I would have to have another boat(kayak, jon) before considering a "redo". Unless you like "redoing" better than fishing.
    I agree! I had all the access I wanted to a glass basscat, and a 1650 jon boat during my two year on again off again project. It helps to fill the fishing itch. But it’s not the same. Couldn’t have done the project without fishing.

As to your question. If it’s what you want to do. Then do it. If you find the project when done isn’t. Well that’s just another project. Iam going to move my PT to my daughters lake home. And build a 1754 tunnel jet boat. Like Ott Defoe’s boat. That one will stay with me.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

My current boat was a project boat I purchased used and restored it. I really enjoyed working on it, but it was a boat I knew I wanted to keep for a long time. There are a few other brands and models I would like to restore, but I don't have the space and don't want to get rid of this one. So it really just depends on what you want as a hobby. Just understand that it's not very profitable and too me it's about enjoying the project work and the finished project.

5. Member
    I've had this one for 6 or 7 years. About 5 years ago did the add-ons. I have the space for the work, but this one would have to go for the money to buy the next boat.

6. Member
    Sounds like you just like fixing up boats. I share the malady.

If you look hard enough, you will find a fix-er-upper for free or a song. They are out there, but rarely are advertised. Side yards; along country roads; covered in weeds, they await you.

I would NOT sell my only boat, unless you buy a kayak or something to replace it ASAP.

Agree with previous posters... keep what you have and find a project you can afford.
    You should be able to find a used pontoon pretty cheap - especially with a crap engine (or without an engine). Restore as much as you can afford - then sell your boat. Use the proceeds to buy a brand new engine, trailer, etc. that you need for the project.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I totally get the want for a project boat to do exactly how you want it, but imo, the inability to go fishing would stop me from selling my boat to get a project. If you look long and hard enough you may find an old pontoon with no engine that you could get for nothing because it’s taking up space...but like was said, you’re going to have to find it, it won’t be for sale, it will be a lawn ornament that was forgotten about.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Keep your g3 and save up for the project toon if thats a possibility

10. Member
    Casslaw, richg99 - I think that's what I'll do.
    Thanks all, for the voices of reason.