Florida Sportsman Expo

Are any of you guys planning on going to the Expo in Tampa this weekend?
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

2. Banned

3. Member
    I honestly think they do a good job at what they do, but I never understood why they have only dedicated a tiny percentage of their resources towards Bass Fishing. This weekends schedule serves as exhibit A.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfisher View Post
    I honestly think they do a good job at what they do, but I never understood why they have only dedicated a tiny percentage of their resources towards Bass Fishing. This weekends schedule serves as exhibit A.
    Amen ! Based on that schedule you would think that there is barely any Bass fishing in the state.

5. Member
    For many years I subscribed to the Florida Sportsman. Around the mid 90's I dropped my subscription because they began to limit information on bass fishing and focused on salt water. I received a call from their subscription services as to why I would not continue my subscription. I told them at that time they no longer represented the state of Florida freshwater/hunting as their magazine title stated Florida Sportsman. They had reduced information on bass fishing and hunting through out the state. The information was passed on to one of their editors who called me and I told him the same thing and he said most of their advertisement comes from salt water clients. I told him I didn't really care where the ad dollars come from, just don't call yourself a FLORIDA SPORTSMAN if you want to address the salt water industry/fisherman. You should rename the magazine the Florida Saltwater Fisherman. He disagreed.

The same is true about the Florida Game and Fish magazine. I have subscribed to it for many years and it is tiring to see/read articles about smallmouth fishing, hunting in other states and pictures of fishing/hunting in other states. The magazine says, "Florida".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    For many years I subscribed to the Florida Sportsman. Around the mid 90's I dropped my subscription because they began to limit information on bass fishing and focused on salt water. I received a call from their subscription services as to why I would not continue my subscription. I told them at that time they no longer represented the state of Florida freshwater/hunting as their magazine title stated Florida Sportsman. They had reduced information on bass fishing and hunting through out the state. The information was passed on to one of their editors who called me and I told him the same thing and he said most of their advertisement comes from salt water clients. I told him I didn't really care where the ad dollars come from, just don't call yourself a FLORIDA SPORTSMAN if you want to address the salt water industry/fisherman. You should rename the magazine the Florida Saltwater Fisherman. He disagreed.
    The same is true about the Florida Game and Fish magazine. I have subscribed to it for many years and it is tiring to see/read articles about smallmouth fishing, hunting in other states and pictures of fishing/hunting in other states. The magazine says, "Florida".
    Yep early to mid 90's is when i noticed they all but abandoned freshwater as well. I do credit them with getting me on Farm Pond 13 in it's heyday though. I remember reading an article when i was in high school in 1990 or 1991-that basically promised a 10lb every trip - we went down there with all the shiners we could get and did exactly that. That was the last helpful article i remember reading about freshwater, but man was it ever so helpful back then.

Same with FWC/SJWMD now. We have this absolute treasure trove of DNA swimming around everywhere and not much is done to develop it except spray.

7. Banned
    I went to one years ago when it was in Orlando. Was disappointed. Most of the booths were inshore/offshore, although the Mark Nichols demo of his DOA baits was fun. Haven't read the magazine in years as it has gone downhill, along with the forum they have.

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I still subscribe.. Is there something better? I'd love to have a FL freshwater mag to read, but they seem non existent. I like reading about the salt life, with the rare bass article, but would switch in a second if there's a better one out there.

9. Member
    #MeToo ... saltwater and junk (non-fishing vendors). Only a spattering of freshwater.
    Between the entry fee, the parking fee, the high priced beverages ... I don't go nowadays.
    If they actually had a quality freshwater area (boats, tackle, etc.) it would interest me.

10. Member
    Well went over this weekend anyway, like everyone said 99.9% salt stuff. Had a couple decent seminars, quite a few vendors slinging any thing from hot tubs to products for gator hunting. Had one vendor with second hand Pelican cases for good prices. Of course Florida Sportsman was trying to sell subscriptions, they did not like it when i told them if they would cover more freshwater stuff!
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040