Right lube for steering cables?

94 Merc 200 efi xri
    s/n 06145588

About to clean/lube my steering cables and tilt tubes. Do I use use white lithium or 2-4-c? does it matter? thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2.5L Forum is the next one down the list.

2-4-C is recommended for the tilt tube, swivel tube, etc.

Normally when cleaning and lubing a steering cable, you will use a light-weight oil. Grease tends to HOLD a lot of grit and grime.

Of course- if the operation of the cable is stiff, it's really time to replace it (better yet, the system).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. Can someone move to proper forum?

Motor turns easily on trailer but gets stiffer when running, more speed = more difficult. It's especially hard to turn starboard, which seems odd with RH rotation. Anyway, I plan to pull the cable ends out to clean + lube them and tilt tubes. Stick to oil on cable ends + 2-4-c on the zerks?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor