Hi Folks,

Let me start by introducing myself as a relatively inexperienced boater and almost no experience with a performance boat like I have now. My very first boat was a 2017 H20DD....basically an open boat which had a 90hp Suzuki. It ran fine and did everything I wanted it to which was most to run up and down one of the local rivers that joins the Chesapeake Bay and go up into the creeks for catfish in 4-6' of water.

I now have a cool H20B, 6" manual jackplate, Yamaha 150 SHO with the PowerTech Prop PN: OFX3R21PCL200....quite a bit more boat than the H20DD but that is all good. It does 52mph (gps) at 5800rpm

I purchased it from a local dealer and went out for "sea trial" and all was well. One my 1st solo trip I noticed considerable cavitation especially at very slow speeds and during turns at 35+ mph. Had to have it trimmed all the way in on turns to not start to hear it cavitate.

After reading most recent posts on this form I learned about how to check the prop ptp setting and promptly checked mine. Mine was at 3" PTP. I lowered it to 4" PTP and ran it today. It was much better although not as nice as I would have liked it. I could still hit 52mph and it had less cavitation, but still seemd like it would start to cavitate or porpoise if not trimmed just right?

So....from reading here it sounded like a 4 blade prop might be a better fit for me and also that I might set PTP at 4.5 or maybe closer to 5" I was surprised to read in one post that these boats can come from the factory set to 6" PTP so it seems that at 4.5 there is still room to go a tad lower?

I'm not experienced enough to evaluate all the posts about props, pitch, # of blades, etc to make a good decision on my one so would really appreciate some input on what PTP setting you would go with and what type prop (manufacture, pitch, blades) that you would use given the specs of my boat and knowing that top speed is not critical and that I want to be able to go relatively slow in shallow water.

Thanks,

Ray