250 hp Merc 4 Stroke Question Puff of Smoke

Serial# 2B576256

I have 12 hours on the motor and she is STRONG! Question is why does it smoke (big puff of smoke) really bad on start up every 4-5 crank ups. Smells like burnt oil. No noticeable difference on how the motor is trimmed while fishing.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Member
    My motor smoked regularly until I lowered the oil level to the middle of the top crosshatched block on the dipstick. If i leave it trimmed in all the way for a long time (a couple of hours) it may put out a puff. I trim it up a bit when fishing and do not have smoke now at almost 40 hours.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
    Serial# 2B576256

I have 12 hours on the motor and she is STRONG! Question is why does it smoke (big puff of smoke) really bad on start up every 4-5 crank ups. Smells like burnt oil. No noticeable difference on how the motor is trimmed while fishing.

Anyone else experience this?
    Yes, mine has done that a couple times as well. I didnt pay attention to the trim angle. I will have to start.

4. Member
    Mine did it after long idles, I’ve got 24hrs now and haven’t noticed it since

5. Member
    I have 18 hours on mine and it did it for the first time on Saturday. I usually have it trimmed up a bit on start up but that time it was trimmed all the way down and a small wave came up and blocked the exhaust relief upon start up and it smoked a little bit. Just wondering if maybe that's what's going on when your seeing smoke?

I have 18 hours on my motor as well and I've noticed that it does it after a longer idle but also the oil is full to the top square notch. I'm pretty sure it just has to do with unburned fuel that is in the combustion chamber when you go to start it up.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil level too high can cause this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Oil level too high can cause this.
    good to know. Thanks Don!