Unidentified Battery Draw

2002 Javelin / Stratos 200 F&S with 225HO. While on vacation this year the ignition switch went bad. After 16 years, literally fell apart. That old switch had a feature which you could turn the key to the left to turn on Accessories. In off position, boat was dead electrically. Great feature to keep from leaving something on.

Replaced with the recommended Evinrude ignition switch which does not have that feature of turning the key to the left. When Wiring there was one extra wire which I had to put on the hot / start circuit to get it power. So now the boat is live electrically even when the ignition is off.

I have noted the battery being drawn down and cannot figure where the draw is coming from. Absolutely nothing in the boat is on or active. Depth finders have been removed, all dash gauges are dead and there are no other items on the boat which would use electricity. Never had any draw with the original ignition switch and the only difference in wiring where an apparent accessory wire had to be put on the hot circuit because the new switch had one less connection point. Otherwise engine and all electrical components work fine on boat.

Where would you start to look.

Do you have a radio? Also, automatic bilge pump could use a tiny amount depending on design of the activation switch. Could also just be corrosion draining your battery. I have a master disconnect on my battery which ensures no current on any of the wiring when disconnected. Something to think about, as a mouse could chew wire insulation, causing a short, and a fire. Disconnect is also a recommended safety device as if you ever experience a short on your boat, so you can kill current before a fire starts. If you don't have one already, you really need to get one for safety, and this will also end your battery drain woes.
    Last edited by Bassnailer; 10-01-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    You said your graphs have been removed, but do they have any accessory equipment, like networking "black boxes" that might be powered with the graphs themselves removed?

Why put that extra wire on the 12v+ constant circuit and not on the Accessory circuit? That way they're only on with the key turned one click clockwise.

Other option is put that extra accessory wire on it's own switch &/or relay, that way at least you can power all of those systems down, which is basically what your one click backwards was doing on the old ignition switch.

4. Member
    Thanks Guys, Wiring is disconnected right now. No Black Boxes on 2002 electronics. Stereo is disconnected. I am going to install a disconnect because I do not like having the boat wiring Hot for all the reasons you gentlemen mention.

I am also going to investigate making some changes to the connections as Junky has suggested. Just curious where that draw could be coming from.

Appreciate your thoughts guys.

Your trim and tilt could still draw current through a faulty switch.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

6. Member
    See Thread in Evinrude Forum. Moderator can delete this thread if desired.

7. Member
    Do you have a GPS puck on the boat , my be staying on now draw the power ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Do you have a GPS puck on the boat , my be staying on now draw the power ?
    No I do not. Apparently just the way the boat was wired for the original switch. you can take a look at the solution in the Evinrude section.