EZ Lube question

How much grease do you want inside the grease cap? I've always tried to keep the cap full and then install the rubber plug. Last couple years I've had an issue on one side with grease slinging on outside of rim. Fishing partner said I should leave some room in the cap for expansion as the bearing/grease warms up.

So I just replaced grease caps and rubber plugs and need to know how much grease to pump in. BBC experts, what say you?
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don’t think it’s possible to put too much grease in that hub since it isn’t sealed. Cap or plug would probably have been my first guesses.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnewman046 View Post
    How much grease do you want inside the grease cap? I've always tried to keep the cap full and then install the rubber plug. Last couple years I've had an issue on one side with grease slinging on outside of rim. Fishing partner said I should leave some room in the cap for expansion as the bearing/grease warms up.

So I just replaced grease caps and rubber plugs and need to know how much grease to pump in. BBC experts, what say you?
    I'd get some bearing buddies and pump grease in until you see the spring loaded plunger just starts to move. Then after each trip pump grease in until you see it moves and eventually all of the air will be removed. Then every once awhile check to see if the spring plunger is bottomed out and if it is give it a pump or 2. Doing that will force the air out and the hub will be full of grease and there will not be room for water to get in. With air inside the hub when you back the trailer in the water the water will cool the hub and create a vacuum inside the hub sucking water inside the hub and you really don't want water inside the hub. Had a 1983 lifetime trailer with a 83 350V Ranger on it and to this day those hubs had bearing buddies and never lost a bearing those hubs were only repacked and new seals twice during the time I owned it and it is still going on the same bearings today.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

You probably have a blown or worn inner seal and it should be replaced. While you're doing that, check your bearings and races for wear and replace and repack them with fresh grease.

It is possible to blow the seal right off the hub by putting too much grease in too fast. I've done it. When adding more than just a squirt or two, jack up the wheel and spin it while slowly adding grease to the zerk on the end of the spindle. Take your time and fill the empty space between the bearing with grease...until you see fresh grease coming out the hub.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    You probably have a blown or worn inner seal and it should be replaced. While you're doing that, check your bearings and races for wear and replace and repack them with fresh grease.

It is possible to blow the seal right off the hub by putting too much grease in too fast. I've done it. When adding more than just a squirt or two, jack up the wheel and spin it while slowly adding grease to the zerk on the end of the spindle. Take your time and fill the empty space between the bearing with grease...until you see fresh grease coming out the hub.
    Bad inner seal would sling grease on the inside of the rim.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Bad inner seal would sling grease on the inside of the rim.
    Opps, missed the outside part.

Oh well, file it away for future information.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

as you fill those rotate the tire s you pump grease in until you see the new grease coming out the front. Wipe out the extra grease no need to keep the front full that's not how they work. Put the cap back on and your done. Running hem for 13 years no problems.

gdi

8. Banned
    The stock rubber caps from Dexter are junk. They are thin rubber and split, letting water in and grease out. Get the UFP ones.

I've had slinging lube (and a missing cap) if I fill them 100% full. Now I make sure to remove about a tablespoon of lube before putting in the cap.

10. Member
    Ok, 1st trip with new Tie Down Engineering grease caps and plugs. No Grease Slinging! Thank you to everyone who offered advice.
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    The stock rubber caps from Dexter are junk. They are thin rubber and split, letting water in and grease out. Get the UFP ones.
    Im still running the oem caps from my trailstar trailer since 2008. Unless mine are different they arent thin at all. Have them off twice a year zero issues. I dont think any of them are water tight either nor intended to be. gdi has the best explaination follow that you wont have any problems.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Im still running the oem caps from my trailstar trailer since 2008. Unless mine are different they arent thin at all. Have them off twice a year zero issues. I dont think any of them are water tight either nor intended to be. gdi has the best explaination follow that you wont have any problems.
    Yours are UFP. The center part has square corners. Where the dexters are just a round dome.