Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4.6 Liter Merc 250 V-8 Torque range???

The motor is rated at 6200 R's. Ive been told the motor stops making torque at 5500. Im running a Triton TRX20 at 72mph @ 5500 LOADED!! 24-3 FURY. Any reason to drop to a 23-3 fury to run the moto at the higher R range??

2. Member
    My 250 v8 certainly does not fall off a 5500. The sweet spot for my motor seems to be about 6100 with the different props I have tried. Now my Ranger is heavier than your Triton and slower but I would think a 23 Fury would get your RPMs up for more on top end and better hole sot. At 5500 my boat is still accelerating.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    My 250 v8 certainly does not fall off a 5500. The sweet spot for my motor seems to be about 6100 with the different props I have tried. Now my Ranger is heavier than your Triton and slower but I would think a 23 Fury would get your RPMs up for more on top end and better hole sot. At 5500 my boat is still accelerating.
    Thanks! Last night I ran 76 @ 5800 damn near on E fuel. I would have to empty the boat to get to 6K R's.

analog tach or smartcraft? a lower pitch will improve holeshot as well as keep the rpms up so you wont loose top end
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    analog tach or smartcraft? a lower pitch will improve holeshot as well as keep the rpms up so you wont loose top end
    Analog Tach.

Could easily be off is why I asked. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment again so hopefully someone has something
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Could easily be off is why I asked. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment again so hopefully someone has something
    I hear ya!! thanks for the input!

8. Banned
    I'd drop pitch for the holeshot improvement as well as possibly top speed improvement as after 5250rpm any engine is going to be making more hp than torque and I don't think it's making hp at 5500rpm, so I prefer to "gear" a boat with a prop that is just kissing the limiter when the boat is as light as you're going to run it in as cold as you're going to run as that's as fast as it's going to go with the engine making the most power in denser air. Then when it's loaded down in the summer it'll be running the highest rpm's possible and not lugging.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    You will gain 200 rpm by dropping 1 pitch.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Banned
    You can also raise the outboard to gain rpm's rule of thumb there is ~100rpm per 1/4"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    I'd drop pitch for the holeshot improvement as well as possibly top speed improvement as after 5250rpm any engine is going to be making more hp than torque and I don't think it's making hp at 5500rpm, so I prefer to "gear" a boat with a prop that is just kissing the limiter when the boat is as light as you're going to run it in as cold as you're going to run as that's as fast as it's going to go with the engine making the most power in denser air. Then when it's loaded down in the summer it'll be running the highest rpm's possible and not lugging.
    Totally agree. Thats the way i have set up my last two Tritons.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    You will gain 200 rpm by dropping 1 pitch.
    Agree. still trying to come up with the 23-3 fury in my area to try. My dealer is working on it for me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    You can also raise the outboard to gain rpm's rule of thumb there is ~100rpm per 1/4"
    Agree. This moto likes to run High!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Prop it to run in the upper end of the RPM range loaded as you NORMALLY load the boat.

Definitely does not "quit" making torque at 5500 (consider source).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Prop it to run in the upper end of the RPM range loaded as you NORMALLY load the boat.

Definitely does not "quit" making torque at 5500 (consider source).
    Thank you Mr Don!!!! I was waiting for you to chime in the whole time!!!! Now i know exactly what to do!! I appreciate everyone's input!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironshores7 View Post
    The motor is rated at 6200 R's. Ive been told the motor stops making torque at 5500. Im running a Triton TRX20 at 72mph @ 5500 LOADED!! 24-3 FURY. Any reason to drop to a 23-3 fury to run the moto at the higher R range??
    Math works out to a 1.62 gear case? Is that correct, If so I would be thinking about a 1.75 in your case. If it is a 1.75 something is amiss here. 2 % prop slip is not likly
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Math works out to a 1.62 gear case? Is that correct, If so I would be thinking about a 1.75 in your case. If it is a 1.75 something is amiss here. 2 % prop slip is not likly
    Funny you should say this. I did the math as well, and it doesnt work out. I do have 1.75 gears. Im not sure what gearing is going on in these new motors but they wont turn the big props we are all used to with a 250. All the guys in West MI with the new moto are running 23-3 Fury. Guess its all good, moto runs strong!!

18. Member
    Keep in mind that stock Fury 3 blade props have a different 'actual' pitch than the 'stated' pitch. A 26p 3 blade stock Fury is actually 26.7" pitch. A 25p 3 blade Fury is 25.6" pitch. use that when doing prop slip calculations and your #'s will clear up and the math works out when calculating speed & slip #'s.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    And can't really work the "math" without FOUR pieces of accurate data.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    And can't really work the "math" without FOUR pieces of accurate data.
    Kinda of my point indirectly, I have a 25 Fury and a 26 fury and before being reworked they ran exactly the same numbers
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast