Education on 4 balde props?

Can someone explain the difference between the popular 4 blade thru hub props?
    Pro Max
    Bravo 1
    Bravo XS
    Power tech TR04
    Hydromotive OT
    Hydromotive OB

Thanks
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 10-02-2018 at 07:04 AM.

2. Member
    Did I miss it? Which motor?
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

3. Member
    I would try a 28 promax. Optimax motors run out of power at 6000. You will likely turn a 28 same rpm as the 26. Until you can’t turn a prop 6000 rpms with an opti you don’t have enough pitch especially LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I would try a 28 promax. Optimax motors run out of power at 6000. You will likely turn a 28 same rpm as the 26. Until you can’t turn a prop 6000 rpms with an opti you don’t have enough pitch especially LOADED
    Before the addition of the 31 series batteries and power poles when I first put the Pro XS on I had no trouble turning a drag 4 28 pitch past 6k. I was thinking 28 promax but the 26 has so much slip I was wondering if that was normal for them and maybe try a different prop.

I have 3 promax props right now. my 26 lab runs about 8.5% at 89mph (limiter). my 28 runs 6.8% at 96mph. my 30 runs 6.2 at 97 (so far, I haven't run it to max yet. It surprises me to type that.....). I had a 27 that I show 4% slip on.

Unfortunately, I don't have my rpm's on paper for all of the hydromotive props I have run.

The Bravo XS props I'm missing rpm on my old 28,29, and 30, but I recall being in the 8.5-9.5 range. All of those props had been balanced. I had a heavily worked 26 Bravo XS that was 8.6% at 89.

I have a Hoss that is 5.2% and a 24 P3 that is 6.6% as well.

What do you spin the drag 4 to now?

The poles in addition to the additional battery weight can take its toll. Not to mention if you are using the brackets sold by power pole they dig real bad at launch (at least mine do). Depending on the weather (wind) the poles have a variable drag impact as well.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I didn't really like the Drag IV so I sold it about a year or so ago. It didn't have a lot of bow lift and the boat felt like it ran real flat with it. Boat ran 88 with the drag IV and I didn't have poles then. It didn't put you back in the seat when you gassed it from about 35-40. But, I still had 11% slip with it on a slip calculator which I think is still high. Back when I was running a 2.5 liter 200 I had slip numbers down to like 5% with a 26 ET. That leads me to believe my hull is less efficient because of weight. That's why I have made the move to Lithium's and next a Terrova troller. That should be good for another 60 pounds and will put me within 160-170 pounds of what it weighed with the 2.5 liter on it. I have found someone in the local area with a Bravo XS 28, Promax 28, 29 and a Mazco RE 30. I am going to meet up with him the 14 of October. He said I could test all of them if I wanted.

The boat handle and drives great I just think the weight has caused some speed loss. I am using side mount brackets form power pole but getting on pane isn't a problem and I don't have any sort of planning aids. I have ordered a Allison foil because I am going to try that 30 pitch prop. I haven't ran one that big and I want to be sure I can plane out. Plus, it will help slow speed running.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I have 3 promax props right now. my 26 lab runs about 8.5% at 89mph (limiter). my 28 runs 6.8% at 96mph. my 30 runs 6.2 at 97 (so far, I haven't run it to max yet. It surprises me to type that.....). I had a 27 that I show 4% slip on.

Unfortunately, I don't have my rpm's on paper for all of the hydromotive props I have run.

The Bravo XS props I'm missing rpm on my old 28,29, and 30, but I recall being in the 8.5-9.5 range. All of those props had been balanced. I had a heavily worked 26 Bravo XS that was 8.6% at 89.

I have a Hoss that is 5.2% and a 24 P3 that is 6.6% as well.

What do you spin the drag 4 to now?

The poles in addition to the additional battery weight can take its toll. Not to mention if you are using the brackets sold by power pole they dig real bad at launch (at least mine do). Depending on the weather (wind) the poles have a variable drag impact as well.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 10-05-2018 at 06:05 AM.