Thread: How lucky am I?

How lucky am I?

Ran some rough water and my motor was acting like it was in Limp Mode...2005 250 HPDI. Get it back to my buddies and we pull the cowl to find that my hotfoot cable had pulled loose from a retaining rubber clamp on the motor. While we were in there we did a little look see to make sure everything else was a-ok. We found my oiler linkage laying in the bottom of the cowl with a broken plastic part. I can only guess what would have happened if I tried to run without this linkage hooked up. The picture is of the temporary fix we did where we wrapped the plastic threaded retainer in black tape and used wire to compress the cracked threaded portion. It was a quick fix because I was heading out of town for a week. Part ordered and installed and I am back to OEM. Just another thing to keep an eye on. I can't believe rough water would have broken this part. I feel lucky my hotfoot cable came loose limiting my throttle or I could have popped a motor.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You would have been ok. The linkage and spring system is setup so that it defaults to MAX oil if the linkage gets disconnected. You just would have had some more smoke, and carbon buildup.

Good to know.

4. Member
    A part like that might break if it's adjusted to the point it has inadequate engagement on the arm or it it's adjusted so that it is compressed too much at limit.

5. Member
    +1 Yamaha engineers least had it go max and over oil the engine than blow it up

Same with the injectors. Fail to flood mode and not starve/lean mode.

I just replaced my vst filter and now my engine just quits as soon as give it gas using the hot foot. She'll idle all day no problem. I wonder if I did something to that linkage? I shoved a towel down there incase my fat fingers dropped a screw....
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    1997 Johnson 175HP Fast Strike 25 Renegade
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

8. Member
    Did you add gas to the vst tank prior to putting top back on? I did my first one few years back and same issues as yours. I added clean gas to the vst tank and prime bulb and no issues.

9. Member
    Had a buddy that broke and it went to max oil, emptied tank very quickly. Didn't here (or didn't work) buzzer. Bamm.

I had the same part fail on my 150 vmax. Did a similar fix.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois