Why can’t Americans play their best?

I am puzzled. Europeans have great players but day in day out can’t whup Americans in the US.
    But sh@teree-they smoked em bad for the last 2 1/2 days.
    can’t find a fairway? Then back off and hit what you can put in a fairway.

i am still wondering about it. I feel sorry for Furyk.

2. Member
    I don't feel bad for Furyk. He made some lineup mistakes.
    They missed fairways with irons and 3 wood too.
    I'm amazed at how low of percentage of pros hit the fairways.

3. Member
    Curious as to how much jet lag plays into the equation of the Americans not playing their best golf.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Curious as to how much jet lag plays into the equation of the Americans not playing their best golf.
    I'd say not much at all. Most of the European team was here for the Tour Championship and flew to France the same days the US guys did (who were in the Tour Championship).
    The Europeans played well because they had nothing to loose. US overplayed themselves. Some of the worst golf I have seen from the US guys.

With the stories of the ping pong tourneys and all other stuff that goes on at night it makes you wonder if the Europeans don't party as much as the US team or the Europeans do party but just play better hung over.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

5. Member
    Furyk did ok. He sat Phil second day and the other herd of non performers. Should have sat tiger for at least one more round. Reed and Speith were the biggest surprise.
    Put the best he could out there and got ass whopped. I would think any two pros playing together should be able to compete and try hard every shot to get their partner the advantage.
    Finau whooping on Fleetwood was fun and showed some drive to win. Needed more of him.

IMHO, it is a philosophical difference in the approach to the game. The american game has become a game of how far can you hit it off the tee. I read about this non stop. All the rage is over speed training at the high school and NCAA level. All this in an effort to hit the ball further, accuracy be damned. A typical PGA tour event, excluding the majors, the rough is not that penal. So, if I can carry it 330-340 yards, I could care less if I am in the rough. Check out this list. The first number is the over all rank in driving distance and the second number is the over all rank in driving accuracy, all numbers are from the PGA Tour.

Tony Finau 4 180
    Dustin Johnson 6 138
    Brooks Koepka 8 158
    Bubba Watson 9 141
    Justin Thomas 11 141
    Bryson Dechambau 25 93
    Tiger Woods 34 129
    Phil Mickelson 54 192
    Ricky Fowler 56 52
    Jourdan Spieth 62 94
    Patrick Reed 80 182
    Webb Simpson 117 94

Brooks wins two majors and is ranked 158th in driving accuracy. DJ is the #1 ranked player in the world and is ranked 138th in driving accuracy. Distance matters on a course in the US, not so much in Europe, where accuracy is paramount. That was on full display at the Ryder Cup....just my two cents.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

7. Member
    Agreed. Golf should not be about distance. It should be about control of the ball in many places and directions. US Golf has been
    Tigerized. Bring back Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Agreed. Golf should not be about distance. It should be about control of the ball in many places and directions. US Golf has been
    Tigerized. Bring back Jack.
    You're right, Tiger made golf what it is today. Bomb and gouge.
    Remember Fred Funk? Although he was one of the shortest distance wise he was the most accurate guy on tour. He held the accuracy stat for a long time.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

9. Member
    Corey Pavin was another. Controlled the ball and got blasted for laying up at the masters on 15.
    Seve, Watson, Trevino, Floyd, Jack, Arnold, and many others during their times and before were masters at moving the ball the right direction to control flight and roll for the shot needed. That is golf at least to me.

4 inch rough at my course would make them think twice. Rough was supposed to be a added stroke or at least a difficult shot. Slows down play and TV doesn’t Like that so the game goes to what TV wants. That leaves everyone to whine and cry about US open roughs once a year.

Patrick Reed was crying at the press conference afterwards saying he should have got paired up with Spieth. But an inside source says he begged Furyk to let him play with Tiger and he played terrible.
    https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/...ods-jim-furyk/
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw