Thread: Leftovers

Leftovers

I watched a video where a guy cooked a 27 pound turkey on a pellet grill. When he was done he was showing it off and he broke off a wing making a comment that they would be for him and his wife for dinner. He then said that they would cut up the rest and freeze it to use later.

I would never plan to have most of anything I cooked as leftovers because I don’t know the secret of heating them up so that the taste is anywhere near the original. Does anyone have a technique that produces acceptable results?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Banned
    Vac pac brisket all the time. Do it when still warm and get the juice in the bag too. Then months later just plop in a pan of slow roll boiling water. Still just as good with lots of smoke flavor.

3. Member
    Are you defrosting before putting it in the boiling water?

Depends on the food. Never had good luck heating up turkey except putting it in a skillet and heating it up with some gravy. Pulled pork heats up well, sometimes just microwave it, other time throw it in the crock pot with some apple juice.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Are you defrosting before putting it in the boiling water?
    Doesn't matter, most of the time I don't. I've got turkey, brisket, ham, pork, wings and bacon frozen like this now
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

6. Member
    A vac sealer and sous vide machine are your friends. Vac seal whatever then freeze it. When you want to chow pull it out and put in the sous vide machine at whatever the desired temp.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    A vac sealer and sous vide machine are your friends. Vac seal whatever then freeze it. When you want to chow pull it out and put in the sous vide machine at whatever the desired temp.
    What he said!! ^ ^ ^ ^

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I hadn't heard of that before you mentioned it. A search turned up this http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Sounds interesting.

9. Member
    Either slow heat in the bag as mentioned, or thaw, then heat slow in a pan with some chicken or turkey broth.
    When its heated, make gravy with the broth.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I hadn't heard of that before you mentioned it. A search turned up this http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Sounds interesting.

This is the one I have. And now that I looked it up I'm a little mad as they have come down in price even more. I think I paid 80 something last year or so and they are down to 50 bucks. Even at 80 they are money well spent. IMO the best way you can cook a steak or chicken etc. Set it to the desired temp or slightly below then quickly sear on a grill or however you choose. Takes any guesswork out and remote thermometers are no longer needed. Also as mentioned great for warming up leftovers.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Pre...book/992671284

I vac pac pulled pork all the time, just throw the bag in a pot of water on the stove and it’s as good as it was just off the smoker.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

12. Banned
    I just had brisket point for dinner last night. Smoked it in
    May

13. Banned