Vessel view question

Guess Ill post this here as it is on a new 250 Pro XS V8 (2B571507). Dealer installed. My problem with it is that when I open the app and it finds the source, it works for about 30 seconds to a minute showing the engine info that I want but then shuts down and says BLE disconnected and a touch button below the announcement says to disconnect from the module. Looking at the actual Vessel View module I see that it has a red plug inserted into it and I think I read somewhere its supposed to be a yellow plug. Could this be the reason for my issue?

2. Member
    Which VesselView are you running...there are several. Will need to clarify that to get much more help.
    Standalone VesselView Display
    VesselView Mobile that goes to your phone by wireless
    VesselView Link that goes to a Navico multifunction Display
    something Else?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Vessel View that goes to my phone.

Is there a yellow terminating resistor installed on the Vessel View Mobile pigtail? It will be under the cowling.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    No, its red. Can anyone give me the correct part # for the correct one?
    Last edited by fuelleak; 09-30-2018 at 02:14 PM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Red is fine- it has the necessary resistor.

You may need to unplug, replug, and look carefully at where you have the module mounted (potential sources of interference).

Also make sure you have the latest version of the App (delete and download again to be sure).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for the heads up European Marine. I called Mercury and they were scratching their heads on this one as they have zero warranties or problems so far. They did want me to see what the lights were doing when it disconnects on its own. Haven't gotten time to do that but Merc wants me to keep in contact with this issue.

8. Banned
    I’ve used mine about 50 times and last weekend it wouldn’t connect, which was very odd. So I started really looking and updated the app, still wouldn’t work. Finally pulled the cowl and both lights were on green. So I pulled both connections (pigtail & terminator) and plugged them back in and she connected again. Just as Don said to do.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Thanks for the heads up European Marine. I called Mercury and they were scratching their heads on this one as they have zero warranties or problems so far. They did want me to see what the lights were doing when it disconnects on its own. Haven't gotten time to do that but Merc wants me to keep in contact with this issue.
    What phone are you using, have you tried others?

10. Member
    Maybe a phone setting is causing this?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Although I can't (and really don't care to try to) actually prove the theory, I suspect that sometimes electrical storms may be causing problems. Unplugging the unit, removing all power source in doing so, and then reconnecting often seems to rectify the problem.

We also saw this with the old System Monitor occasionally.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Moved it to the front, issue fixed, that simple.

13. Member
    Would love to see a pic of your mounting setup.

14. Member
    Dont have pics but just snap the harness into the receptacle, turn the whole harness upwards and over the upper right side area so that the module itself hugs up to the starter. The resistor arm fits into a recess in the upper /middle area under the back cover. There I put a patch of industrial velcro on the starter and the back of the module. Tucks in nice there and gets great signal. Theres even a recess in the plastic back cover that the harness cord fits into and exits the upper right corner. The back cover doesn't want to pop in and stay, slowly pops back out after a while as the module wire slightly interferes but get your cowling back on and I'm sure it holds it in place. No rocket science, you'll see how it routes easily.

15. Member
    Dont have pics but just snap the harness into the receptacle, turn the whole harness upwards and over the upper right side area so that the module itself hugs up to the starter. The resistor arm fits into a recess in the upper /middle area under the back cover. There I put a patch of industrial velcro on the starter and the back of the module. Tucks in nice there and gets great signal. Theres even a recess in the plastic back cover that the harness cord fits into and exits the upper right corner. The back cover doesn't want to pop in and stay, slowly pops back out after a while as the module wire slightly interferes but get your cowling back on and I'm sure it holds it in place. No rocket science, you'll see how it routes easily.

Mine should be here any day. I'll check it out as soon as it arrives. Thanks for the info!

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ... The back cover doesn't want to pop in and stay, slowly pops back out after a while as the module wire slightly interferes but get your cowling back on and I'm sure it holds it in place. No rocket science, you'll see how it routes easily.
    I would not be inclined to route in such a fashion as to prevent the cover from being properly secured (certainly don't rely on the upper cowling to hold the rear electrical cover in plate).

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would not be inclined to route in such a fashion as to prevent the cover from being properly secured (certainly don't rely on the upper cowling to hold the rear electrical cover in plate).
    Well then what is the solution for routing this thing forward so that it works?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I will make a mental note to take a close look at this the next time we have one in here.

NORMALLY, this engine would be rigged to a 14 pin harness (Mercury), which would allow a J-Box to be installed at the console, and the module mounted right there.

Not always the case with repowers, or some brands that source "aftermarket" harnesses.