Thread: Vortex Hub Caps

Vortex Hub Caps

Hey all, just wanted to share this water intrusion issue I had. I remove caps often to inspect and add Lucas grease if necessary. Last two inspections the grease at the end of the spindle was milky in color. Finally figured out why. I first thought the O-ring was bad. Removed it and it looked perfect. The cap looked perfect also. After a closer look with a putty knife I found the problem.

Easy fix had a spare cap and O-ring on hand.
    Wayne

2. Member
    those are notorious for splitting. on going problem.

3. Banned
    They need to make em from aluminum.

I have had 2 of mine broken by people using them as a step. My son got one and the other was some fat ass at the ramp that had never seen an Xpress. He didn't even ask, just climbed on in like he owned it.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

I posted this a few years ago also. I first had one rattle in my tire while i was leaving for a trip. Drove back home and pulled the cover off the rim just to find it laying in there. Then i had one let go on me during a long trip and the bearing seemed like it blew up. Shrapnel everywhere. I have since got rid of the "oil bath" hubs and now use the greased vortex hubs. So my problem with vortex is/was that they used the same black cap on their greased hubs. Was an a$$ pain trying to find them online . Apperently they had a plant fire and parts were dayum near impossible to find. I searched online and found a clear/amber cap that holds up better to cracking at the threads. Its a different type of plastic. Only issue thats not really an issue is the amber colored caps have a rubber insert. My opinion is that the amber caps are a different material that holds up better around the threads.
    Last edited by cwilt; 10-09-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    They need to make em from aluminum.

YES!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!