Trailer Re-Wire Advice

Been Trouble shooting taillight issues last couple of trips. Wire connections are starting to fail. I am considering a total re-wire this winter. Advice on installation, wire type, quality connectors, and suppliers for materials. Lights are LED and in good shape wiring will be the main focus. Tips and advice would be much appreciated.
    Wayne

2. Member
    Never use T-Tap connections.
    Don't make book if you cannot cover bet.

3. Member
    The last couple I rewired I just used the trailer wire kits from Academy or the auto parts store. I used butt connectors. Sealed the ends with liquid electrical tape. Then heat shrink over the butt connector.
    I would definitely do a complete rewire rather than trying to fix just the bad spots.

I used heavy duty trailer wire I got on amazon, has a shield around all the wires.
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

5. Member
    Crimp and heat shrink all connections, use old wires to pull new ones through, be careful not to skin any wires while pulling them.

6. Member
    Thanks for your responses. Probably start the project in January.

These heat shrink / instant solder connectors are water proof and no crimping from Amazon work great , just used them on my trailer back up lights.
    110PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors, Electrapick Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Terminals Electrical Waterproof Insulated Marine Automotive Copper Connectors
    [COLOR=#555555 !important]Sold by: ELECTRAPICK

Return eligible through Nov 3, 2018

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$23.99[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

Quote Originally Posted by RngrBill View Post
    These heat shrink / instant solder connectors are water proof and no crimping from Amazon work great , just used them on my trailer back up lights.
    110PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors, Electrapick Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Terminals Electrical Waterproof Insulated Marine Automotive Copper Connectors

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$23.99[/COLOR][/COLOR]

You can also buy these connectors made by a different company at Home Depot in the electrical department, where the phone cables etc are located. They work good!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RngrBill View Post

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$23.99[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
    How do you heat the connection? Does it compromise the plastic shrink portion?
    Thanks Wayne

I do it with a heatgun.
    Just make sure it's in a straight line when you heat it or sometimes the wire ends will poke thru the plastic.
    Also IMO it helps to have a short amount of bare wire.. no longer than the width of the solder ring.

11. Member
    Thanks all for the tips!