Trailer breakaway cable question

How is everyone securing the trailer breakaway cable to there tow vehicle without coming off ? Everytime I stop I always find it dragging on the road. I have tried putting the hook many different ways but doesnt work for me. Thanks !

2. Member
    I replaced the "S" hook with a snap hook.

3. Member
    I just wrap a strip of electrical tape around the hook. Does the job for me.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    X-2

5. Member
    Funny you should post this. One of my spiral cable safety chains broke at the (poorly installed) terminal lug yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Yep, me too.

7. Member
    Replaced mine with an S-biner dual spring carabiner. It’s way easier to hook/unhook than the factory style with the rubber piece you gotta slide onto the hook. I’m guessing since yours falls off it doesn’t even have the rubber piece on it.

8. Member
    I have that rubber piece on the regular safety cable hook but the hole is too big for the breakaway cable S hook. Is there supposed to be a different rubber piece ?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Life in The Bass Lane View Post
    I have that rubber piece on the regular safety cable hook but the hole is too big for the breakaway cable S hook. Is there supposed to be a different rubber piece ?
    Maybe not on yours. The boat I have now is the first one I’ve had that had the same kind of rubber piece, only smaller, on the breakaway cable that you probably have on your safety cables. It was a pain to hook it up caus it’s so small. If you replace it with an S-biner dual spring caribiner it will not fall off. I got mine at academy.

There is a factory loop under my bumper, just been hanging it on there for years. so far, good