Triton Magnum Myth?

I am boat shopping and have run across a few Magnum 197's. Appearence wise they are very sharp boats but have never seen one in person and in the past have rarely seen one for sale. I have heard rumors that the transom strength was questionable and were not strong enough for the OB's that were equipped on the boats. I know Xpress carrys boats in the 19-21+ foot range with 200-225 hp outboards and from what I have heard they seem to be purty stable, but I'm not as big of fan of their deck layout as I am of the Tritons. I have noticed too that Triton hasn't carried the Magnum line for some time. So fill me in, are the rumors true? If I go the Triton route, the 197 with a 200 or 150 would suite me ideal. Just don't want to buy into a potential or probable disaster. Thanks fellas

2. Member

Re: Triton Magnum Myth? (Amish Electrician)

They were very nice tin rigs and we sold several. Never heard of any transom issues but they did have some paint that came off 1 year.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

Re: Triton Magnum Myth? (Amish Electrician)

As I remember the problem was not with the boat it was the trailer. The bunks did not extend far enough to the rear to support the transom and motor weight which caused the welds to crack on the transom. At about the time that this problem was showing up Triton sold the plant in Mississippi and merged it with another aluminum boat builder up north. Didn't here what happened after that.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

Re: Triton Magnum Myth? (bassbama)

When PE Marine bought out Triton (fiberglass) boats, Brunswick merged the Triton tin boats with Lowes Boats and Triton tin boats are no-more...

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.

5. Member

Re: Triton Magnum Myth? (4dbass)

I have a 2005 186 Magnum with a 2010 150 Opti. I have nothing bad to say about the boat. It's not a speed demon, but fishes very well. I guide on the Tenn. river and Pickwick lake. It handles the rough water well and gets into the backwaters very well. Plenty of storage and easy upkeep. The only thing I wish I had was a 197 for the extra room when carrying 2 passengers. Good luck.

6. Member

Re: Triton Magnum Myth? (BrianN)

Cool! Glad to hear some postive input. Thanks fellas. I have always liked their looks and layout. I'm still savin my pennies and will make a purchase sometime in the coming months. I just hope I can find one then Just out of curiousity, were there not many of them produced or are the folks that have em so satisfied with em they just keep em. Nationwide I have found 2 for sale. Thanks again