2018 Z19 Surge Brakes Locking Up

Hey Guys,

Looking for some help here from fellow Nitro owners (Current or Past). I have a 2018 Z19 with a tandem axle trailer that has surge brakes and the lock out pin is kind of cheesy IMO. Does any body else have problems with it falling out? I have replaced two lock out pins thinking that the pin was the problem, but even a brand new pin falls out with little to no effort. Is it just me that thinks it would be a better design if the pin went completely through the trailer from one side to the other so that it locked into place somehow? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm inserting the pin into the lock out pin hole and it kinda just sits there with a lot of play in it.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your thoughts and or solutions.

2. Member
    If you fix you reverse light on your plug then your surge brakes will kick out when you back up so you dont need the pin. I had the same problem with my z18. I checked my fuse and it was blown. Never had to use the pin again.
    03 triton tr19
    03 merc 200 OptiMax.
    helix 12 msi g2n at bow and console.

3. Member
    My pin does go in and stick out the other side of the tongue with a detent ball on the end of the pin holding it in place. Takes force to pull pin out.

4. Member
    Not sure what you have but I have a 5 pin adapter cord that connects to the 7 pin connector on my truck bumper. The trailer is also a 5 pin and I have never had a problem with the brakes locking while backing up. I'm not sure which wire keeps the brakes from locking but it sounds like it is isn't working.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I have a 7 pin plug on my truck and the reverse wire is definitely working because I hooked my Blu Water Led reverse lights up to the reverse wire under the tongue of the trailer. However, the brakes still lock up in reverse when backing up my inclined driveway unless I stick the lock out pin into the tongue of the trailer.

zeke4351
    Do you have a Nitro boat/trailer? I even took the time to go to my not so local BPS to look at their floor models to see if their lock out pins went through the other side of the trailer and locked in like you mentioned. They were set up just like mine and did not have a hole on the other side where the pin could exit and be held in place by the ball on the pin. I asked the BPS guy working the sales floor and he said that he had been working there for 6 years and he's never seen a lock out pin exit the other side of the trailer tongue in all his years of selling Nitros. I then asked him what the ball on the pin did. His reply was " Great question".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    My pin does go in and stick out the other side of the tongue with a detent ball on the end of the pin holding it in place. Takes force to pull pin out.
    The brake lockout doesn't go all the way through. The coupler lock does. It sounds like either the OP's solenoid is bad or it is not grounded.

7. Member
    Thanks remaly181
    I'll check the solenoid and ground tomorrow. Does your lock out pin lock into place if you stick it in or is it just sorta laying there allowing it to easily fall out. Mine just kind of sits in there and if it keep the surge brakes from engaging, it gets turned sideways.

8. Bob G's pool boy
    Do the reverse lights on the trailer come on?

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miked400598 View Post
    Thanks remaly181
    I'll check the solenoid and ground tomorrow. Does your lock out pin lock into place if you stick it in or is it just sorta laying there allowing it to easily fall out. Mine just kind of sits in there and if it keep the surge brakes from engaging, it gets turned sideways.
    I will preface the following by assuring you I'm not being a smartass. The object of that pin is to prevent the coupler from sliding back. The coupler should be pulled all the way forward so the pin can go through the the frame then through the slot in the coupler. My pin goes approx 3 1/2" in the hole. If that pin is put in correctly, there is no way the coupler can push into the frame. Also, the solenoid should be grounded merely by the fact it is affixed to the trailer. If everything else is working, e.g., brake lights, turn signals and markers, then you need to check fuses or the solenoid or the wiring for the solenoid.

10. Member
    Mike, I have the same trailer and boat, and yes, the pin is loose when inserted. Also, I didn't care for it just hanging there while trailering, so I cut it off and tossed it in the back of the truck. I just pull it out when I need it.

Also, the surge brakes on my trailer do not disengage when I put it in reverse either. I've never checked the fuses though.

11. Member
    The object of the game is for the lockout pin not to be used while towing. Probably why it doesn't stay in. You need 12 volts on the blue or purple wire on the trailer when the truck backup lights are on.

12. Member
    Something is wrong either with the solenoid (not getting power on blue wire) or (failed solenoid).

The other issue could be the bypass hose that goes from the solenoid back to the reservoir is clogged (very small hole).

One way to test..

With vehicle in reverse engine off and parking brake set (reverse light should be on).
    Plug in the trailer plug, use a screw driver in the slot or hole under the couple.
    Use the screw driver to pry on the end of the plunger shaft, the plunger should move easy back and forth (you may have to push the emergency release tab to get the plunger to come back).
    When pushing the plunger push rod you should see a swirl in the reservoir (use a flash light).

Note: If the plunger push rod is hard to push, problem with reverse solenoid.

Now unplug you trailer plug, the plunger should be hard to push.

Page #25 shows the location to insert the screw driver (a heavy screw driver is needed).
    The Solenoid is shown on page #28 and is part number 27.
    http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/p...aintenance.pdf

You should not have to use a pin at all no matter the incline if the solenoid is working correctly.

This same setup is used on many manufactures trailers, not just Nitro part only, if you need a solenoid. Any good trailer shop should be able to fix you up.
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.

13. Member

Brakes locking up on nitro boat ,

[QUOTE=miked400598;9694167]Hey Guys,

Looking for some help here from fellow Nitro owners (Current or Past). I have a 2018 Z19 with a tandem axle trailer that has surge brakes and the lock out pin is kind of cheesy IMO. Does any body else have problems with it falling out? I have replaced two lock out pins thinking that the pin was the problem, but even a brand new pin falls out with little to no effort. Is it just me that thinks it would be a better design if the pin went completely through the trailer from one side to the other so that it locked into place somehow? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm inserting the pin into the lock out pin hole and it kinda just sits there with a lot of play in it.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your thoughts and or solutions
    Just bought myself a 2019 Z-18 nitro boat in September ,tonight I just fixed my boat brakes from locking up when I was backing up. No fuses was blown found my problem was the junction box up under the bed of truck, the connector just lost connection,use electric grease on connections and plug back up, fixed my problem brakes release now when backing up, don’t need to use pin anymore , hopes this helps and maybe this little to late.
    2019 Nitro Z18
    Mercury 150 FourStroke

14. Member
    My new Z19 pin goes all the way through, and yes check your reverse lights thats helps if there working
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota