Feedback on Cougar FTD

I currently have a Z521C and have been considering a new Bass Cat because of the Bass Cat quality and ease of maintenance. Right now Bass Cat has a great price on the Cougar FTD package. A comparably equipped Lynx would cost 12 to 15k more. I'm hitting retirement age soon and I'm not as agile as years ago and don't won't to end in the water while up front. I fish big lakes in Texas that can get rough. Unfortunately the Cougar trolling motor foot control cannot be moved back easily like the Lynx and the Caracal. I want a boat that rides well and is stable. Speed is not important. I appreciate feed back on the Cougar FTD with respect to the forward location of the trolling motor, stability of the fishing platform in cross winds and ride. Thank you

2. Member
    I can't speak to the Cougar, but I have it's smaler brother, a Pantera II. I came from a Triton and Skeeter. I can tell you the trolling motor pedal took me about an hour to get used to. I do a lot of flipping and pitching and can tell you I really like being up front. As far as BassCat as a company, customer service and quality I feel they can't be beat.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    I have a Puma FTD which is the same hull with a small top cap difference. I'm an old guy as well, almost 65 and spend plenty of time rolling around on boat wakes on Chickamauga. The trolling motor pedal is no issue for me as I always keep my lean up seat in for balancing against. Ride is 75% driver, so that part is up to you, but the BassCat won't disappoint. If you want speed, mid 70's is easy, above that takes some practice and work. I remember my first BassCat was a 2003 Jag (older 20' hull) with a Mercury Racing 250XS, I had just moved from a 520 Ranger and the first time I felt it lift and catch the air under the hull was amazing as Ranger's don't do that. The FTD boats are more narrow than a Lynx or a Caracal, but are still very stable platforms. You won't be disappointed in the fit and finish as it is second to none.Not sure about the Cougar, but my Puma has no vinyl nor plastic trim anywhere on it, it's all fiberglass or metal. If you were closer, I would take you for a ride.

Sounds like you should look at a Caracal too.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I have a Puma FTD which is the same hull with a small top cap difference. I'm an old guy as well, almost 65 and spend plenty of time rolling around on boat wakes on Chickamauga. The trolling motor pedal is no issue for me as I always keep my lean up seat in for balancing against. Ride is 75% driver, so that part is up to you, but the BassCat won't disappoint. If you want speed, mid 70's is easy, above that takes some practice and work. I remember my first BassCat was a 2003 Jag (older 20' hull) with a Mercury Racing 250XS, I had just moved from a 520 Ranger and the first time I felt it lift and catch the air under the hull was amazing as Ranger's don't do that. The FTD boats are more narrow than a Lynx or a Caracal, but are still very stable platforms. You won't be disappointed in the fit and finish as it is second to none.Not sure about the Cougar, but my Puma has no vinyl nor plastic trim anywhere on it, it's all fiberglass or metal. If you were closer, I would take you for a ride.
    None of the cats have all that plastic

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    I currently have a Z521C and have been considering a new Bass Cat because of the Bass Cat quality and ease of maintenance. Right now Bass Cat has a great price on the Cougar FTD package. A comparably equipped Lynx would cost 12 to 15k more. I'm hitting retirement age soon and I'm not as agile as years ago and don't won't to end in the water while up front. I fish big lakes in Texas that can get rough. Unfortunately the Cougar trolling motor foot control cannot be moved back easily like the Lynx and the Caracal. I want a boat that rides well and is stable. Speed is not important. I appreciate feed back on the Cougar FTD with respect to the forward location of the trolling motor, stability of the fishing platform in cross winds and ride. Thank you
    I believe you should also consider the Caracal. Much wider deck (inline with the Ranger). The TM pedal can also be moved aft if needed.
    It has a sit in hull (deeper) as compared to the Cougar (sit on) hull. Its a premium boat and will still run low 70's with the 225.
    Has a ton of storage and one of the best deck lay outs.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=933374
    See post #9.
    The thread is for a Puma vs Caracal.
    The Puma and Cougar are same hull, different cap.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Member
    All, thanks for the feedback. Caracal is 2 foot shorter than my Z521C. When I talked to the nearby Dealer he thought that since I was used to a big boat I'm might not be satisfied with the Caracal. I did like the layout of the Caracal and the wider deck.

8. Member
    Caracal
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

9. Member
    Loved my old Cougar, one of the best all around hulls on the water. I’ve hopped from a Cougar right into a Caracal at a show. I’m not sure the Caracal doesn’t have more deck space?

I recommend contacting Cat and seeing if you can’t arrange a demo in your area from both.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    John

I bought my Cougar last year when I lived in Texas and had no issues with the rollers from Texoma to the crazy waves in Roberts and Lewisville. For the price and equipment I would buy a Cougar all over again without hesitation.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

11. rjw11111
    just went from 520 Ranger to Couger FTD the trolling pedal up front was no problem getting used to and boat is much more stable then I thought it would be. The ride is great and the boat will run.