Why can't I just hook a hose directly to my motor/LU?

Other than the obvious answer of "there's no connection to do so"

Given the frequent need to run boat motors out of the lake/river/ocean (frequent in general, not meaning one specific boat), why haven't the manufacturers added a way to connect a hose directly to the LU or power head, as opposed to using muffs or a tub of water? Is there some kind of technical reason that precludes this? The muffs won't fit my new motor due to the location of the water intake, and using the tub of water is going to create a muddy nightmare when I'm done and need to dump the water (the only concrete on my property is under my house). Seems like it would be so much easier to pull a cap, and just connect the hose straight to the motor somehow...

2. Member
    I have seen some but didn't ask if it was added.

would still have to cover the intake holes so the water can pump correctly
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Most newish motors have a flush connection for this but they are not usually recommended for the running the motor. I think it flushes the block but does not go through the impeller. Lack of water to the impeller can damage it.

5. Member
    What kind of motor do you have? I have muffs that I used on my 1999 Johnson 200 and they will also work on my 2015 Mercury 150 4 stroke. I would think that you should be able to find something to work other than dunking it in a tank.
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

Evinrude G2 motors have this connection for running the motor.

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

7. Member
    I got the special Yamaha SHO muffs but they have never been used. Seems there has never been a need to run the motor on muffs.

Oil changes are done after a fishing trip. Motor is still warm, oil drawn out through the dip stick tube.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Most newish motors have a flush connection for this but they are not usually recommended for the running the motor. I think it flushes the block but does not go through the impeller. Lack of water to the impeller can damage it.
    You are correct never run without either a pair of muffs or in water, I have seen people run their motors while on the ramp or in parking lot just LMAO hope they have a lot of $$$

9. Member
    What does the owner's manual recommend?
    Tight lines!