Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Hey guys, just looked at these pics closer, if you ended up covering up the red reflective material on the back, you may have to add additional reflective material somewhere else. I believe there has to be 4 sq in of red reflective material on each side to be compliant w/ trailer marking laws of the DOT.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Thanks, got some coming too.

3. mikesxpress
    Your welcome guys. Post some pictures when you get them on.

Just ordered a set. Since the trailer is all plug n play how did you wire them? Did you get the connections from Ranger?
    Last edited by carolinagreenhead; 10-02-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Hey guys, just looked at these pics closer, if you ended up covering up the red reflective material on the back, you may have to add additional reflective material somewhere else. I believe there has to be 4 sq in of red reflective material on each side to be compliant w/ trailer marking laws of the DOT.
    Never heard of this before so I looked it up. From what I found, you only need reflective material on the back if you're over 80" wide and have a gross weight of more than 10,000 lbs.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    Just ordered a set. Since the trailer is all plug n play how did you wire them? Did you get the connections from Ranger?
    I just clipped the existing wires and connected the new ones. Then I used waterproof shrink tubing over the top of the splice and put a little liquid tape on top of that. The new lights actually had three wires (red, black, and white) and the old ones had a two wire connection, hot and ground. I connected the red to hot and the black to ground on the new lights and just cut the white one off. I also put a little liquid tape over the area where the wires on the light go into the housing to cover the white wire completely. Should work fine that way. Overall, it's a pretty simple job!
    Last edited by rookyboy; 10-02-2018 at 07:49 AM.

7. mikesxpress
    Marine grade butt splice with the heat activated goo inside.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

9. Member
    Does anyone have any after market upgrades for the older fenders with the wrap around tail lights and the back up lights are the the small round bulbs up higher on the fender?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking to. Thanks guys.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookyboy View Post
    Never heard of this before so I looked it up. From what I found, you only need reflective material on the back if you're over 80" wide and have a gross weight of more than 10,000 lbs.
    Not true, all trailers require reflectors on the rear (At least 2 of them, red). Trailers of longer lengths require more than that...
    In addition, I would venture to say all of our boat trailers are wider than 80", I know mine is...which is why it has to have clearance lights.

This is a pretty good write up of the requirements and locations: https://www.championtrailers.com/fed...and-locations/

There are also some min and some max brightness specifications for reverse lights on vehicles. The max has more to do with how bright it is above the horizontal line...think like a headlight cutoff, to reduce glare to other vehicles.

This thread gets into it a bit, but I haven't checked to see if it applies to trailers the same as to Motor Vehicles: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ackup-lighting

Here is a pic of my boat, with purple arrows pointing to the factory applied reflective material, on the port side. Same locations are used on the starboard side.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 10-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Just add lights today nite and day difference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RANGER. Z119 225 PRO XS. serial # 1B962441
    IONIC 3-50s AND 125
    HDS 12 / HDS 9 TOUCH
    GHOST
    ATLAS JACK PLATE
    POWER POLE BLADES

Mine came in today. Where did you get the marine grade butt splice? (Never heard of it). Also, what size screw did you go with.?

Thanks

Mine arrived yesterday too. I stopped by Auto Zone, they had some of the connectors.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabes1 View Post
    Mine came in today. Where did you get the marine grade butt splice? (Never heard of it). Also, what size screw did you go with.?

Thanks
    Some hardware or auto parts stores will carry them. These are the type I used:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor...09_275_004_003

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drami04 View Post
    Just add lights today nite and day difference
    SWEET!! You should be able to see a whole lot better now!

17. mikesxpress
    Note: These butt splices work very well with the melting adhesive but I do suggest applying heat shrink tube over them as past experiences show the plastic sleeve itself has a tendency to degrade over time. Maybe John can add this to the Ranger tips section as the backup light issue comes up frequently.

18. Member
    Might I add to Mikes post - heat shrink tubing that is heat activated adhesive lined on the inside.....
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

I got my lights installed (same ones the poster installed), tried them out this morning on a trip to Orange Lochloosa and they are MONEY!!, Helen Keller could back the trailer now....

Spanky

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookyboy View Post
    All waterproof and sealed. Various brands available on ebay. Just search "clear backup lights" or "clear reverse lights" etc. You'll see all the different choices available. Some are more expensive than others. Optronics has them, but they only have 6 diodes. The ones I purchased are below and are slightly different than those pictured by Mikesxpress. Mounting was a breeze! 4 holes with stainless screws and connect the wires. Hardest part of the job was removing the OEM lights. Had to take a grinder to the lense and cut it off to remove them as I couldn't get the plastic nut loose.

One things for certain, you'll love the fact that you'll be able to see the rear end of your trailer from now on! Nice and BRIGHT!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Trailer-C...72.m2749.l2649
    UPDATE - These lights are leaking water!!

Been to the lake about a 1/2 doz times and just noticed there is a little condensation under the lense. I'm keeping a close eye, but might be ordering some of the Optronics lights. They have a lifetime warranty and are submersible! The ones from the ebay link above are just waterproof.

Sorry to those folks who may have ordered a set. Hope you have better luck than I did!! Watch them closely.

On a side note about the ebay seller above...they want to charge me a restocking fee to return the lights even though they are not working as advertised. That's garbage if you ask me (or maybe just another ebay pro).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast