Thread: SHO owners

SHO owners

So I just had my 1 st problem with mine that turned out to be something very simple . About 2 two weeks ago I was rolling into weigh in as I got to 4600rpms the motor just shut off . It restarted right up got back on plane starting get back up to speed once I got 4600 rpms motor shut down again . It did it 4 times in 15 miles . I am very blessed that one of my best friends is one of the best outbroad mech. He met me at the river at the house a week later hooked up his computer to the motor and we took off . The motor did the same thing another 4 times . He did a multiple of different test trying to figure it out . So he took it back to his shop hooked it back up to the computer and the Dyno this time he recorded all the electrical reading . He noticed there was a one volt drop it would be running at 14.2 volts and as soon as he pushed over 4600 rpms in a Milla second the voltage dropped to 13.2 that’s when the motor died even though the voltage came right back to normal . So He called Yamaha’s tech service talked to them they were convinced it was the main computer. Yamaha sent him a new computer he hooked it up and the motor did it again . He called Yamaha again this time he talked to the main tech . He said he was 99.9% positive it’s a lose battery connection. Sure enough that’s what it was the main wiring that attach in side the motor were not lose but not tight enough he said it was maybe a 1/4 turn lose . Guys add this to your regular maintenance Check on your SHO motors . Might save you some grief . Mine will be checked every year now when doing oil changes .

Thanks Kennedy. Good to know. Can you be a little more specific on the location to check. Not that knowledgeable on the SHO yet.

3. Member
    Have heard this quite a few times on this engine. At least one was a bad battery. Guessing the computer does not like the quick voltage drop. Makes me want to pay close attention to leads and connections when using high amp draw circuits like the trim/tilt. Just like the other fellow with the OX66 that runs funny when he uses his trim assembly. Thank you for posting this! You cannot beat experience and knowledge when troubleshooting. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Someone has themselves a spare multi-thousand dollar ECU.

Shame for Yamaha to throw parts at a problem but it happens at times.

5. Member
    Ecu went back to Yamaha . I don’t need flashing boat already runs 79 to 82 depending on the load for the day . Just follow the main red and black wire that goes inside the cowelling the terminals are right there close by as they come out of the rigging tubbing you can’t miss them .

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    So I just had my 1 st problem with mine that turned out to be something very simple . About 2 two weeks ago I was rolling into weigh in as I got to 4600rpms the motor just shut off . It restarted right up got back on plane starting get back up to speed once I got 4600 rpms motor shut down again . It did it 4 times in 15 miles . I am very blessed that one of my best friends is one of the best outbroad mech. He met me at the river at the house a week later hooked up his computer to the motor and we took off . The motor did the same thing another 4 times . He did a multiple of different test trying to figure it out . So he took it back to his shop hooked it back up to the computer and the Dyno this time he recorded all the electrical reading . He noticed there was a one volt drop it would be running at 14.2 volts and as soon as he pushed over 4600 rpms in a Milla second the voltage dropped to 13.2 that’s when the motor died even though the voltage came right back to normal . So He called Yamaha’s tech service talked to them they were convinced it was the main computer. Yamaha sent him a new computer he hooked it up and the motor did it again . He called Yamaha again this time he talked to the main tech . He said he was 99.9% positive it’s a lose battery connection. Sure enough that’s what it was the main wiring that attach in side the motor were not lose but not tight enough he said it was maybe a 1/4 turn lose . Guys add this to your regular maintenance Check on your SHO motors . Might save you some grief . Mine will be checked every year now when doing oil changes .
    What battery are you using.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

7. Member
    Deka agm 31 ser for the motor

I just put a fifth battery in my boat Friday because it did not like my lithium ion battery , battery was not fully charged. Voltage would go high on volt gauge and engine would shut down and also HB788 would shut off. neither HB Helix 12 would shut off. For some reason my lithium ion did not take a charge after a couple of weeks plugged up to onboard charger. After putting a AGM battery just for the engine that night , the lithium ion battery charged up over night and ran all my electronics all day Saturday.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula