Thread: Hey joe54!

Hey joe54!

My son bought me a 60ELPT BF merc 4 stroke, its a 2004 I think. My old 85 hp merc 2 stroke is pretty tired, and there is no way I could afford to replace it, and he surprised me with it. No issues with the engine, had it running on the stand. The question I am hoping you can answer is about the controller. Its a quicksilver 881170A20, where the tack lead comes out of the front of the controller there are 4 capped wires, green with white trace, light blue with white trace, tan and red. What are these wires for? I have a mercury factory service manual, the user manual, and the manual for the controller, but I can not find the use of these wires anywhere. I have a tach lead, and am planning on a water temp gauge also, and possibly water pressure. Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

2. Moderator
    The capped wires out the front are for gauges. Merc offers a harness that goes from the control box to the gauges. Temp gauge isn't really going to work but a water psi shouldn't be a problem to add..

3. Member
    ^^^^ + 1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I had figured at first just using a water pressure gauge, so I will just go that way. I have the harness to go from the controller to the tach. The motor has automatic shutdown in case of overheating, or other issues. I am a mechanic in the automotive end {over 40 years} so I am very well versed in electronic fuel injection, and ignition and ecu controlled systems. Problem is you have to know component locations, and wiring schematics. The service manual covers lots of this, including simple vom test for management devices. Without a diagnostic tool for merc outboards you have to do it the hard way, but I have done it that way many times. Thanks for your input, BTW I have always serviced and repaired my other outboards, but they were late 70s carburetor engines. Closest merc dealer is an hour away, and lots of those places don't want to help you if you are not spending thousands of dollars