Thread: Possible Move

Possible Move

I have an opportunity to take a job in Sterling and I figure this would be a good place to get opinions from fellow fishermen about the area, fishing possibilities and possible place to look for housing or places to avoid. Thanks for any help. Going to be Me Wife 15yo and 2 1yo labs.

2. Member
    It's a nice area but expensive. Sterling , Ashburn, Aldi and Leesburg are some areas to look at housing. Traffic sucks so consider your commute time vs mileage. For bass fishing the Potomac would be the closest but there is also Lake Anna, Rappahannock River and James a little further. Let me know if I can answer any other questions I've worked in NOVA (northern VA) since 2005 and commute too far (65 miles) everyday
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

3. Member
    If your job is in dc or near a metro you can save wear and tear on your vehicle. Other than that you will love the traffic, not.

4. Member
    Like others have said traffics sucks and you'll be looking at a significant increase in housing/taxes/etc. Check out the school districts which will depend on the county (Fairfax/Loudoun) you choose to live in and specifically the HS your 15yo will attend because they do vary IMO. Upper Potomac is close by for small mouth and some LM but not ideal if you have glass boat. Lower Potomac (tidal) is 30 min without traffic to access/fish north part of river (WW bridge/DC area) and about 45 with no traffic to leesylvania state park where a lot of tournaments go out of. If you hunt you're looking at additional challenges with access/cost. Other non outdoor activities, jobs, history, city life etc are good but it all depends on what you're looking for. If you have specific questions feel free to PM.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera II

5. Member
    Whenever travelling for work I use 95 to route 17 to 15/29 and avoid 95 up to North central PA.
    Google maps says 95 is faster. Only at off traffic times and non seasonal traffic, aka summer is it ok.

You couldn't pay me enough to move up there. I used to work near DC part-time. I avoid I-95 like the plague, and take 301 N. into Maryland. I know that doesn't help you. All I can say is just bend over and bear it. No matter how you take it, it's gonna hurt.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

7. Member
    Man I have lived in NOVA all my life. There is no way in hell I would move up here. Traffic is terrible, parts of the area you better understand 10 different languages etc. Pay is always good, but cost of living is very high, property taxes will be a joke in Loudoun as well. You should come for a visit to see for yourself, make sure you travel route 7 into Tysons at about 7-8 AM and then again on the weekends. You are getting nowhere fast.

8. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    You couldn't pay me enough to move up there. I used to work near DC part-time. I avoid I-95 like the plague, and take 301 N. into Maryland. I know that doesn't help you. All I can say is just bend over and bear it. No matter how you take it, it's gonna hurt.
    Ditto, Id rather be a Walmart Greeter in Texas living in a trailer than get anywhere near DC metro area.
    Housing be outrageous, crime is high, traffic is horrible. nohow,,, no way.

9. Member
    Used to periodically work out of the NoVa office of a large firm I previously worked for. My regular office was in Richmond, Va. Outside of an extremely lucrative opportunity/promotion, there's no way that I could ever tolerate living in NoVa. From my perspective, it embodies what we all term "the rat race." COL and socio-economics also are quite skewed. Owing to the sheer economics of the area, you might (or not) find that what you currently perceive as "middle class" or "upper middle class" in your current location is **quite different** than what many areas in NoVa would define as same. Prior to the financial crisis, my previous employer had first year starting salaries of new employees set ~$45k higher for NoVa than other locations (other than NY). That still didn't make up for the COL difference, nevermind quality of life.

No way, traffic, high cost of living, high number of non Americans. Left Fairfax county in 1976 and have no reason or desire to go back.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I live in SE Virginia...on the Carolina state line. I am way out in the country with great fishing and hunting. I used to work for the Navy Dept and had to travel to the DC area once in awhile. That was once in awhile too often! There is NO WAY I would ever consider moving up to the area anywhere near DC!

If your actual work place will be Sterling, there are many people in NOVA that would love to have that opportunity. I lived in Herndon for 35 years and just retired to lake Anna a few months ago. Kind of missing Herndon. As stated housing and living costs are pretty high, but schools and services are outstanding. If you have to commute towards DC the traffic is pretty bad especially if type A. Fishing - Potomac river is minutes away, but that part of the river is above the fall line and more suited to canoes and kayaks, but not bad fishing. From Sterling Leesylvania State Park is less than an hour on the weekend and will put you in some very good bass fishing waters, but you will have to adjust to tidal water fishing. Lake Anna is about 2 hours. As for the area, it is a very diverse! You are in the suburbs of the nations capital and there is a large turn over of people. There is govt, military and even a lot of people from other countries coming and going every few years, not to mention all the companies to support these. Any type of restaurant or store you can think of is within easy driving distance. As for Wash DC, I spent a lot of time there meeting with clients and if you go during non rush hour times and take public trans it is very doable. It is also a very good place to go on weekends if you have any interest in our countries history, museums, or world class entertainment. This is an area where you cannot say "there is nothing to do" Two places I would suggest seeing are Arlington Natl Cemetery and Great Falls Park. Great Falls is one of the few Fed parks that allows dogs and your Labs will love it. Short drive from Sterling with lots of hiking trails and on the Potomac. I will be the one guy that say's "go for it", but do your research and feel free to PM if you have any questions.

NOVA should be their own state in my opinion.

I can’t stand it up there.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    NOVA should be their own state in my opinion.

I can’t stand it up there.

AMEN!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758