Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of buying a Skeeter

I have never fished out of a Skeeter but always have looked like very nice boats. I found a good deal on a ZX225. Any ideas on what kind of speed I may get out of it? It has a Yamaha 225 SHO.
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

Much faster than you need to go! Least important thing on the boat list is speed. Deck lay out, stability on the trolling motor, build quality and a good trailer are more important. Oh, and good dealer support along with a boat company that will still be in business down the road.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    68-75mph. I know its a wide range, but lots and lots of variables. Expect around 72. I agree with the above. Paid lots of money to people who's boat wont break 60.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Much faster than you need to go! Least important thing on the boat list is speed. Deck lay out, stability on the trolling motor, build quality and a good trailer are more important. Oh, and good dealer support along with a boat company that will still be in business down the road.
    This is the truth. All the things listed above are what make a boat a great bass boat. WOT top end speed is really not that important mainly for the simple reason that you will spend only a fraction of your time in the boat really at WOT. A high cruise speed for efficiency and a safe and comfortable ride are far more important and Skeeters are known for those qualities. Skeeter's are not the fastest brand out there by any stretch, they are also not the slowest by a long shot. I'd say they are fast enough but shine in the other aspects. I love my FX21 250 SHO but winning boat races isn't one of the reasons. Its fast (74 just me full tank of gas and lots of tackle) but fast is a relative term. 74 isn't fast for my buddy who has a Bullet Merc racing engine or for someone in an Allison. If you want to fish buy a Skeeter, if you want to race get something else!

5. Member
    70-74 as stated. Good ride and fishes great with the trolling motor down.
    Last edited by dreese; 09-28-2018 at 07:36 AM.

6. Member
    Love mine fast enough for me nimble and rides great only thing I regret is not getting the factory cover and a hydraulic plate installed at time of purchase.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

7. Member
    I had a Ranger for a couple years and moved into a Skeeter due to our Ranger dealers moved out of the area and only a Skeeter dealer in area so bought me one and Love it , and would jump into another one if need be. good luck with your choice

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I agree that there are more important factors than speed. I have heard numerous times how well a Skeeter rides. I was simply curious as to the speed. Definitely not a deciding factor just curiousity. Thanks for your reply.

9. Scraps
    I was close to buying a Skeeter two years ago. I think I'm still close to Skeeter now having a Phoenix. I like the Skeeter front deck layout better. I like the "point and shoot" drivability too. I think most of all I like the SHO.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Skeeter is that ONE boat that you can take both hands off the wheel at WOT and it tracks like it’s on rails.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Member
    ifishinxs nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by bwp777 View Post
    ifishinxs nailed it
    I would disagree with that. I would (and did) only take my hands off the wheel in a Ranger. The ZX225 definitely needs some driver input. It is stable up to 72mph. After that, you have to drive it.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

13. Member
    I should clarify that my experience has been in a 21' iclass so I guess I "REALLY" don't know about others. I could take my hands off the wheel of my Ranger as well but it would max out at 65 and you can take your hands off all of em at that speed. not until I get mine at 75 or just a tad more will it need any driver input and that is limited

I haven't been in the I-class. I hear they ride better though. The ZX boats have always been squirrely on the top end. The main reasons I traded in my Ranger 521VX was because it was too big for the local waters, and boring to drive. I wanted something smaller and faster. The ZX225 fit what I was looking for perfectly. The ZX225 is really sporty.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

15. Member
    I have a 19’ 225 and it runs 69.5 comfortably cruising. And yes, it’s a hands free boat. No walk and nothing crazy when crossing wakes. It loves to be trimmed high even in rougher water

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I have a 19’ 225 and it runs 69.5 comfortably cruising. And yes, it’s a hands free boat. No walk and nothing crazy when crossing wakes. It loves to be trimmed high even in rougher water
    You're not going fast enough.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

17. Scraps
    I also know when I was pricing that I felt i was getting more boat and options with a 19ft Skeeter and up for the same $$$. Back a few years ago I was scared off by the quality issues I was reading about and trailer issues.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    not the trailer issues again.
    did he really say trailer issues?

19. Member
    I plan on pulling the trigger on it as soon as I sell my current boat. Like kridgen said, I think this particular boat is more bang for my buck than others on the market right now. Also, I do not want the new mercury 4 strokes on my boat. I'm sure after a few years of working out all the bugs it will be a good motor but the SHO is a proven engine. They have had plenty of time to work out all the bugs. From what I understand, the SHO's had a few powerhead issues the first couple years but they fixed that and it's been a great motor ever since. So the SHO is a major selling point for me. The only question I wrestle with now is whether or not to spend an extra $1500 on a hydraulic jackplate.

20. Member
    spend the extra money on the hydro plate. Out of all the brands, I believe the Skeeter needs it the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast