Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The thing I would be concerned with is the tax increase to repair the roads to the lakes.
    I’m sure someone would try it here.

2. Member
    Most of these guys on here cant wait to make bad comments about Ca.

3. Member
    I live here, Ca that is; and near the OP.
    Depending on which side of the political isle you stand, California is great or frustrating but regardless of all the jokes (many deserved) we have great weather (I fish 12 months a year) and believe it or not ....great fishing.

I live but a 20 minute drive from The Ca Delta, such a special place that everyone should experiece at least once in their lifetime.
    Recently I bought a home at Clear Lake, all you mid-westerners and southerners have heard of Clear Lake right

A few lakes worth mentioning that are only 2-4 hours away;
    Lake Don Pedro
    McClure
    New Melones
    Bullards Bar
    Shasta
    Oroville
    And thats just in N.California.
    The point is that it's not all bad here and if you are a bass fisherman, it's as special as anyplace in the country.

4. Banned
    Kromer- There are a couple spots that were ultra-productive out at Lake Sonoma. Both out the Cherry Creek arm and out the other way up by the BIG ROCKS.

If You hadn't got Your fill, then the Squawfish out on the main lake off that big piece of shale is non-stop action.

5. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    Depending on which side of the political isle you stand, California is great or frustrating but regardless of all the jokes (many deserved) we have great weather (I fish 12 months a year) and believe it or not ....great fishing.

I live but a 20 minute drive from The Ca Delta, such a special place that everyone should experiece at least once in their lifetime.
    Recently I bought a home at Clear Lake, all you mid-westerners and southerners have heard of Clear Lake right [IMG]file:///C:/Users/bxhl/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Lake Don Pedro
    McClure
    New Melones
    Bullards Bar
    Shasta
    Oroville
    The point is that it's not all bad here and if you are a bass fisherman, it's as special as anyplace in the country.
    Exactly this.

I grew up fishing all of our nearby lakes, all within 90mins of our home:

McClure
    McSwain
    New Melones
    Don Pedro
    Tulloch
    Camanche
    Pardee
    Delta

CA definitely deserves some of the hate it has. But, for the outdoorsman it's an absolute beauty of a state. I’ve met a lot of great people on and around the water, as well as during hunting season. The fact that I can fish every month of the year is awesome.

I’d hope a CA section could be considered, and I do believe we have enough active members to keep it alive.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    the Squawfish out on the main lake off that big piece of shale is non-stop action.
    You caught a squawfish in Lake Sonoma? Never seen one in there and fished it heavily for the five years I lived in Petaluma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

Recently I bought a home at Clear Lake, all you mid-westerners and southerners have heard of Clear Lake right

Lake Don Pedro
    McClure
    New Melones
    Bullards Bar
    Shasta
    Oroville
    Can't believe you left off Lake Berryessa!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Can't believe you left off Lake Berryessa!!!
    Absolutely right, in fact I was there recently and have no defense!
    Berryessa keeps getting better every year!

It's definitely one of the best lakes right now for a chance at catching a double digit fish in Northern California in my opinion.

I moved out of California this past May and now live on the East Coast again but think about NorCal everyday. As soon as I'm done in my current billet here in Charleston, SC (where I grew up) I'll be requesting a transfer back to Sonoma county again. Hopefully the summer of 2020 will have me back out there with some of the best bass fishing that I've ever experienced in the US! It's tough leaving a place with so many bodies of water capable of consistently producing +20lb five fish limits regardless of the time of year!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    You caught a squawfish in Lake Sonoma? Never seen one in there and fished it heavily for the five years I lived in Petaluma.

Thats nothing, the guy that turned us onto them thought they were 'land locked salmon' hahaha

See where it juts off into deeper water on that far bank? There is a large piece of shale (similar) where We'd just cast against the rock and let the bait fall naturally, using a 5" Kalins grub with a free sliding bullet weight (unleaded of course)

More Lake Sonoma info:

http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/location/...Dry%20Creek%27

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66871

*** NOT the lake to leave the plug out as that walk is a PITA unless they put in an escalator??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 09-28-2018 at 11:11 AM.

11. Banned
    Also when You get back to Sonoma let Me know there are a ton of Farm ponds in the area. The ponds at Sonoma State U. have nice fish in them even..

I went to school in Sonoma County and then while playing pro baseball I coached at Sonoma State a few years...

Sonoma State Hospital has GREAT ponds but You need a Pass (Dep.t of Public Safety)

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Also when You get back to Sonoma let Me know there are a ton of Farm ponds in the area. The ponds at Sonoma State U. have nice fish in them even..

I went to school in Sonoma County and then while playing pro baseball I coached at Sonoma State a few years...

Sonoma State Hospital has GREAT ponds but You need a Pass (Dep.t of Public Safety)
    I'm active duty Coast Guard and was stationed at the Training Center out by Two Rock for the last five years. Lake Sonoma was an awesome place for a quick trip in the afternoons or for a camping/fishing trip on long weekends. I'm a kayak fisherman so we mostly launched out at Yorty Creek unless it was during the winter when I seemed to do better down near the main ramp. I won a pile of money fishing that lake in our nation wide online kayak tournaments!!

Can't wait to get back out there again! I could flood this page with pics of all the giant fish that I was able to catch over those five years! As good as the bass fishing is here in South Carolina it just doesn't compare to what California has to offer. My best day on the water was up at Clear Lake where I managed a five fish limit for 32lbs 8oz anchored by a 9lb 7oz big fish. I had a close second best day on Lake Sonoma with a 4lb, 5lb, 6lb, 8lb, and 9lb fish for right at 32lbs and all were caught on swimbaits.

13. Banned
    Ask just about any Coastie about "Lenny Hawes" He used to run the kitchen out at 2 Rock. Lenny and I played Golf together and now while He lives in Alabama, We meet up in Nov. as He comes down every Nov. around Veteran's Day because He plays in a Tournament Chi Chi puts on in Tampa.

Back when I was still playing golf, I got Us some Masters tickets and met Him up there...

I'd imagine the oldest Tars would remember Lenny, He's been in about every Port

Is Rodman Slough still spitting out big ones? I used to drive up from Cotati and spend the night and go out of Lucerne.

I missed the little cafe so much in Lakeport, when I was up buying Dope for the Lake County S.O./DEA I ate there every trip up.

Rodman was still putting out some decent fish when I left. I fished more down around the State Park and mid lake normally. Matt Allen and Tim Little recently did a kayak fishing video in Rodman Slough for their Tactical Bassin page. No big ones but plenty of fish from there.

The same reason Mississippi trees face west and Georgia Trees face east. Cause Alabama Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    If you get a California section then I want a Georgia section.
    There's been a Georgia forum for quite some time. I'll get a California forum added. As has been said, we had one years ago but the traffic didn't justify keeping it; it should work now.

17. Member
    Thanks Al.

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    If you get a California section then I want a Georgia section.
    And a Utah section
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

19. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    There's been a Georgia forum for quite some time. I'll get a California forum added. As has been said, we had one years ago but the traffic didn't justify keeping it; it should work now.
    Awesome, thanks Al! Looking forward to it
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

The new California forum is up....sorry for the delay; I had to change a few things in that section.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast