Banned

Eagerly Awaiting the Release of the New Honda Outboard Motors

Honda is supposed to be releasing the new 200 225 & 250 High End Outboard Motors in the next month or so.
    Last year I had a chance to test drive a HO Honda 225 and I was very impressed.
    Same motor as I have in my Ridgeline.
    New heavy lower unit.

Looking forward to seeing them on the water

2. Member
    What’s different about them?

3. Member
    What boat was the test drive ?

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I’ve heard of rumors of it!

We need more info on this!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    What’s different about them?
    The difference is that the new HO are designed for high output all through the rpm range. The gearcase has the tapper similar to the SHO lower unit.
    The throttle response was quick and snappy with great low end thump to get the boat moving which is where most outboards suffer.
    The boat was a Bass Cat with a full tournament load and full fuel tanks.
    The one thing that through me was the addition of the hydrologic jack plate and the second steering wheel toggle switch. My trim toggle switch is on the port side of the steering column, their trim switch was on the starboard side with the hydrologic jack plate switch on the port side.... that little detail made a big difference and I will say the ride got interesting a few times. 
    As a long time mechanic/engineer I have watched how various industries have evolved over the decades. Use of offshore resources to cut costs has proven to be less than ideal for many companies. Admittedly there are things that I do not agree with when it comes to Honda Motor Companyn Honda would rather hold back the release of a product than have unresolved issues on the market. Take the Ridgeline for a prime example. The dealerships were left without a product for two years because of the QA issues Honda wanted cleared up. Could you ever see the big 3 ever not have a truck line for quality issues???
    Do I like Honda vehicles? Well the proof being in the pudding my garage has Honda vehicles, why, because they last.

I am definitely looking forward to checking out the New Honda Outboard

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The bigger question is did they wait too long and give Mercury an opening into the 4 stroke market??
    Or did Mercury rush their big 4 strokes out too quickly and is there going to be issues showing up like with the SHO.

This is great...Keep us posted.

9. Member
    When I saw the boat show reviews last year, they keep referring to the new Outboard as a prototype. Do you think it will come to market for 2019 or even 2020?? Any chance they will make the redesign with the tapered lower unit you mentioned and a 1.75:1 or 1:85:1 gears. In my opinion that's the only thing that could possibly improve from the current model.

Quite frankly if Honda's had a 1.75:1 lower unit I don't know how any one else would sell a outboard, they are that good.

I messaged Honda's facebook page. They confirmed the motors will be released "very soon" but would not provide additional details.

11. Member
    Are the Fishing U or any of the pros running them yet?

I'm sorry but, Honda not offering the Ridgeline for two years is nothing. If they kept their top selling model off the market[CRV] for two years it would be a valid point.

I'm glad to hear of Honda's new motors. Competition is always a good thing.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

13. Member
    This is exciting news. I’ll be curious to see how the performance is. Is this motor aimed towards the bass boat market? Or will it replace the existing 200-250 outboards?

If this engine sheds some weight, say get it down to 520lbs and is on par with the other engines for performance.....I'm in!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    If this engine sheds some weight, say get it down to 520lbs and is on par with the other engines for performance.....I'm in!
    Me too.

16. BBC SPONSOR

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NattyLite View Post
    Are the Fishing U or any of the pros running them yet?
    Not yet there are on standby I have heard.