Thread: Lake question

Banned

Lake question

Cumberland, green river , dale hollow . What’s your guys thoughts on these lakes , and where they rank in your state as far as bass and maybe throw crappie in there as well . Thinking of taking a trip down that way this coming year. Only one I’ve really heard about fishing wise is dale . Only thing I know about Cumberland is house boats and nothing about green .. thanks

2. Member
    Time of year you plan to come?

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Dale and Cumberland are pretty neck and neck as far as smallies. Green likes to show off in the spring, but the rest of the year there is generally tough.

Someone else will have to chime in as far as crappie, I'm strictly a bass guy...

Good luck.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

4. Banned
    Spring

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Spring
    All three mentioned are great in the spring! Can't go wrong with any of them.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

6. Member
    There really arent any lakes in the state id put ahead of those 3 in the spring. Green gets ate up with tournies on the weekends in the spring so you might want to plan to fish during the week
    They aint got hands, set the hook

7. Member
    Havent been to Dale in years but hit Green and Cumberland a bunch every year. Both excellent in the spring and IMO the nod for LM being Green and SM being Cumberland.

Havent crappie fished on Cuberland but Green is a good Crappie fishery. Both Green and Cumberland are very different lakes. Cland is big and stupid deep and very clear in some parts. Green is smaller and has a more typical color to the water depending on time of year.

If you are coming from the north you could easily find a place to stay between both of them and hit both. Cland is roughly 30-45 minutes from Green.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Havent been to Dale in years but hit Green and Cumberland a bunch every year. Both excellent in the spring and IMO the nod for LM being Green and SM being Cumberland.

Havent crappie fished on Cuberland but Green is a good Crappie fishery. Both Green and Cumberland are very different lakes. Cland is big and stupid deep and very clear in some parts. Green is smaller and has a more typical color to the water depending on time of year.

If you are coming from the north you could easily find a place to stay between both of them and hit both. Cland is roughly 30-45 minutes from Green.
    Yep, you can stay in columbia and be 10 minutes from holmes bend marina to put in on green and 30 minutes from the dam on lake cumberland. I can only speak for Green on crappie fishing and its usually really easy in the spring with a ton of 10" or so fish. Imo cumberland has a larger learning curve for fishing because its so big and you can stay out on the main lake in 100' of water and catch smallies/spots or go as far up a creek as you can float a boat and catch largemouth. Greens a lot smaller andyou can just take off fishing
    They aint got hands, set the hook

9. Banned
    You guys know of any houses to rent on green

10. Member
    Get a floating cabin at the state dock! Tie off your boat to itnovernight!
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Yep, you can stay in columbia and be 10 minutes from holmes bend marina to put in on green and 30 minutes from the dam on lake cumberland. I can only speak for Green on crappie fishing and its usually really easy in the spring with a ton of 10" or so fish. Imo cumberland has a larger learning curve for fishing because its so big and you can stay out on the main lake in 100' of water and catch smallies/spots or go as far up a creek as you can float a boat and catch largemouth. Greens a lot smaller andyou can just take off fishing
    agree 100%

Holmes Bend Marina has cabins for rent and they have a lodge. If your looking for something more private try https://www.airbnb.com/ .I did not see a lot of stuff for Columbia, Ky but I did see a couple that were reasonably priced that were still within a reasonable drive to Green. My days of staying in a motel or hotel are over. I can pay the same price or less and get a fully furnished house
    Last edited by JR19; 09-27-2018 at 06:37 PM.