Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    No on the 14p. What I would run on your waters. And Your rig. Is a 13p Spitfire aluminum 4blade. The pitch is right for your 50hp. And the diameter at 10-1/2” will give you much more drivability and holeshot. And allow you to trim more with more speed. Not so much venting of the prop. And loosing speed. And you should be in the low 30’s heavy, mid 30’s light.

As for as maxing the rpms. You have a max rpm range for your motor. There is a sweet spot that is the most speed and efficient. Mine is 5k to 6k. But Mercury recommendation to prop is 5750. It is for less undo stress on the motor and most speed given the prop recommended in the 60 hp range for it prop range. Never prop a motor lower then the max RANGE. Even if you only want to run around the lake at say 25 mph at 4000 rpms. Your not going to hurt anything. As long as you open her up to max at the end of your day of use. Reason is that’s how the motor clears and cleans it self of carbon build up. Running a motor at 4K all the time, day after day. Is just asking for a clogged emission, fuel injection problem.

Yes sir...and thank you! im not gonna order it now...prolly in a month. But this is the one that the prop selector pumped out for me...look right?
    https://leadersrpmshop.com/mercury-n...30-40-50-60hp/

LATE EDIT:

Thanks for explaining RPM thing to me in simple terms too! sucks being a noob...but I like and want to learn as much as I can! people dont always have the patience with me on here lol ill buy you some beers if youre ever in El Paso!
    Last edited by FishInTheDesert; 10-05-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    Yes sir...and thank you! im not gonna order it now...prolly in a month. But this is the one that the prop selector pumped out for me...look right?
    https://leadersrpmshop.com/mercury-n...30-40-50-60hp/

LATE EDIT:

Thanks for explaining RPM thing to me in simple terms too! sucks being a noob...but I like and want to learn as much as I can! people dont always have the patience with me on here lol ill buy you some beers if youre ever in El Paso!
    Yes that is the prop. And I love helping people. So no worries on the patient part. PM me anytime you want and hopefully I will have a idea or a direction to go.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    I am jumping in on this thread. I shredded my prop saturday on the first outing after my remodel. Needless to say, no fishing was done form my boat. I am on the way to the prop shop to pick up a new one. Mine is an 05 and had a 10 3/8" 14P black max. The prop guy is telling me to go with a 15 P to get more speed, but will be a little sluggish on the hole shot. I know nothing about props. This is the prop that came with the boat. I took one blade off on a rock pile at 05:00 saturday morning. I need a prop for this weekend. Considering going back with what i had. I dont want it any slower for sure.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Bass Fanatic View Post
    I am jumping in on this thread. I shredded my prop saturday on the first outing after my remodel. Needless to say, no fishing was done form my boat. I am on the way to the prop shop to pick up a new one. Mine is an 05 and had a 10 3/8" 14P black max. The prop guy is telling me to go with a 15 P to get more speed, but will be a little sluggish on the hole shot. I know nothing about props. This is the prop that came with the boat. I took one blade off on a rock pile at 05:00 saturday morning. I need a prop for this weekend. Considering going back with what i had. I dont want it any slower for sure.
    really bad feeling huh?! just be grateful like I am....props are much cheaper than lower units! rock piles scare the hell out of me and theyre all over my lake! was it a blind one....any humps on your graphs/mapping units? Try the mercury prop selector...but im sure gatorglenn will steer you right! Wish we could have him on speed dial! LMAO

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Yes that is the prop. And I love helping people. So no worries on the patient part. PM me anytime you want and hopefully I will have a idea or a direction to go.
    Caved in. I needed to buy a rod...but I need this more. Ordered the one I showed you in the link just now...thanks again...ill keep you posted on performance

Caved in. I needed to buy a rod...but I need this more. Ordered the one I showed you in the link just now...thanks again...ill keep you posted on performance

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    really bad feeling huh?! just be grateful like I am....props are much cheaper than lower units! rock piles scare the hell out of me and theyre all over my lake! was it a blind one....any humps on your graphs/mapping units? Try the mercury prop selector...but im sure gatorglenn will steer you right! Wish we could have him on speed dial! LMAO
    Gatorglenn is a life saver for sure. I leaned on him a lot with my remodel. Always gives sound advise. I went with a quick silver aluminum 10 3/8" 14P. The same prop that was on before. I just have my fingers crossed that the prop was all the damage I took. The shaft doesn't seem bent and the lower unit oil had no water nor metal in it. Should be good to go. Hope so anyways. To answer your question, i haven't been on the water in over two months because I was remodeling the front deck and trying to complete it by last Saturday for my son's season opener with his HS trail. While i have been off the water, the powers that be decided to do winter draw down early this year. I knew of the early draw down, i didn't know they would bring it down 7 feet. i knew the rocks were there. And i thought i was a good. It was 05:00, so i couldnt see it and ran right up on top of the submerged island. Had to get out of the boat to free it up. Started her up and the motor was shaking. Idled for about 40 yards and she shut down. Wouldn't start back up so i let her be. Got up to one of the other HS boats and raised the motor out of the water and one blade was missing. Like i said, fingers crossed that what my boat mechanic told me is true and my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, a new prop should be deal.

8. Member
    Oh.. and because of this post, I noticed my trim tab and bolt is also missing also. Not sure it was already missing or was a result of the accident.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12