Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If there are rough edges where paint is gone, you may need to blend/fair those edges slightly. As Savage indicated, don't remove finish (at the most you might doctor the edges a bit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    First and foremost thank you Don And Savage for your replys. Though i am kinda a simple minded person. I understand Savages point as to painting to prevent possible corrosion(pitting)around the porting due to exhaust and water. Though why is the actual powerhead surface not painted?. Don are you saying its ok to not paint and just smooth the edges? Or is Savage saying to paint to simply take the edge away?
    Last edited by Redngoo; 10-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Powerhead Surface: No paint.

Adapter Plate Surface: Don't remove any paint. If you can get a nice clean smooth paint surface without any prep work, that's the best option (assuming we're not adding 1/4" of paint).

If the paint is flaky/broken in areas, THEN you will need to smooth and work some before priming.

In all cases- CLEAN surface of grease and oil before priming. Any bare metal must be primed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for clarifying. I "lightly" blended" edges and primed and painted lightly. Hoping to start going back tomorrow. Again thanks for the words of wisdom.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

5. Member
    Hope you used the "green" marine primer.

6. Member
    I did! Learn that one about 30 yrs ago. I owned a "rude" back then That i painted. Stripped all the paint. The green primer stayed on it. Wont never forget that one!
    Last edited by Redngoo; 10-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

7. Member
    Everything went together good! Run boat a couple of hours this evening. Come in and re torqued bolts. Though i did discover another issue. Ill start another thread for this. Thank to all!..
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12