Guardian mode kicking in when over trimming on 150 Pro XS

Yes, bad driving in my first boat...but I'm wondering how common this is at 3500 RPMs for others

2. Member
    Depends on what happened. Over-trimming can drop water pressure, overheat the motor, and trigger guardian. As just one example.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Moderator
    If you trim up near full trim and your only at 3500 RPM range as mentioned yes I've had customers this has happened to.. Your loosing water psi and motor overheats. Basically what your doing is just lifting the lower unit water intakes because the prop can't lift the bow so it lifts the gear housing instead... My .02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by shermsmarine View Post
    If you trim up near full trim and your only at 3500 RPM range as mentioned yes I've had customers this has happened to.. Your loosing water psi and motor overheats. Basically what your doing is just lifting the lower unit water intakes because the prop can't lift the bow so it lifts the gear housing instead... My .02 worth

X2 my motor will drop to 8 psi from 15 psi when I am "cruising" 30 MPH and trim out....If I am going WOT and trim out I get lift which keeps the foot in the water and keeps my PSI around 15 PSI (1996 Merc Xr6)
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Basically, the slower you go, the more trimmed down you need to be, depending on prop and setup. If you don't have one, GET A WATER PRESSURE GAUGE. Your pressure should never drop below 10 psi for any amount of time...a second or two won't matter. 11-12 psi at wide open throttle and trimmed out for maximum speed. Every time you make a wide turn, you'll need to trim down a touch as well.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80