triton

fx20 porpoise way to much (2016)

I've been dealing with a porpoise problem for a while now on my 2016 fx20....I've raised and lowered the plate
    but still giving me grief coming down off plane...have the jackplate back at factory 7 dots third hole...I am
    running a 26 pitch T2 (which I dont like) and get my rpms around 6000....Not looking for a magic fix but
    anyone else have these issues with a fx20 or fx21 ???? Appreciate any help.......

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

2. Member
    Trim all the way down otherwise a Skeeter will porpoise at low speeds.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Trim all the way down otherwise a Skeeter will porpoise at low speeds.
    Yep!!

4. Member
    what they said, anytime you drop speed with these skeeters you have to trim down Before you let out of the gas, if not it's going to porpoise.

5. triton
    Thanks everyone, coming from Tritons then Rangers to Skeeters you end up finding a lot of differences in the
    hulls...no complaints with any of the hulls just need to find the right prop for the Sho and the T2 is not the
    right setup for me.....I am still trying to get the Tempest to run .....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

6. Member
    4 blade helps but trimming down is the ticket. I get zero porpoise on my fx21 because I reduce my speed by lowering the trim and coming off plane.

7. Member
    I also had a learning curve when I first got my FX21. At first I was pretty bummed out about my new to me boat with the porpoising not only on throttle let off but also when coming up on plane. What I found that works is when taking off leave the trim all the way down until you feel the boat first jump on plane. Then I start trimming as the boat gains speed / rpms. It is kind of strange but I've found that if I want to run slow, say 25mph to 30 mph I have to get to that speed pretty much trimmed all the way down and then I can trim up just a hair which will jump up the rpms and speed. I can then feather the throttle back just a tad and hold at the slow speed with no porpoising. If I trimmed up as the boat came on plane and stopped at exactly the same trim setting as with the other method the hull won't ever stabilize and it just porpoises. When slowing down I just start trimming down just a tad before I back off the throttle and she settles down nice and steady. Hope this helps. It really just takes seat time.

^^^^This is how it’s done^^^^^
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    What don’t you like about the T2?

10. Member
    Wow! A moment of clarity for me. Thanks for the explanation.

11. triton
    Thanks again...as far as the T2 goes THOET I know the boat needs more stern lift and other FXs Ive been in with either a
    Tempest or a T1 get better RPMs pitch for pitch....I am still working with a Tempest adjusting the jackplate for top end...still
    working with it and about ready to send it to Mark for his ideas, he has done a lot of great work for me over the years !!!

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

12. Member
    I see where several peeps have installed a CB Marine Foil and have been very satisfied with the results. You might want to google.

13. tool bag
    I've had some work done on a prop for my fx21 here lately Speaking with Mark Croxton, he seams to think the prop can do alot to fix the problem. something about putting cup in the right place. I've never seen anyone else speak of this. Does anyone know if it will work? I trust the guy. Hes done a bunch of props for me. Im betting it will help for sure..
    Live life, its the only one you get!
    You don't scare me.

14. Member
    Im sure cupping will help as does a 4 blade. As I have said before, its all about the trim. I have zero porpoising because I know how to use the trim

15. Member
    Order a set of wedges from your Skeeter dealer. It’ll give you 2deg mor trim and not affect your top end. There is alot of positive trim on those hull designs. It helps a lot and keeps the engine tucked a bit longer. It’ll also keep you from over trimming on top end as well.

16. triton
    I might go that route TXFISH, it makes a lot of sense adding a set of wedges ...wonder what the dealer will have to say, I know its not just my boat. Anyone else
    go this way ???? Thanks for your input....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    I see where several peeps have installed a CB Marine Foil and have been very satisfied with the results. You might want to google.
    ^^^This

18. Member
    I have a 2018 ZX190 and at 30 to 35 MPH it would porpoise really bad no matter how you trimmed it. I installed a CB Marine Foil and now
    all that hopping and bouncing is gone. Boat runs very smooth whether I'm running 20 MPH or 60 MPH. I was kinda worried about how
    it would look, but I think it looks really good. Check out CB Marine Foils or just call Chris on the phone and tell him what problem you're having.

Good Luck,
    Bozz

19. Member
    I share your pain TRITON. I purchased a 2016 zx190 and the porpoising was terrible. Hell, I could barely get on plane. Dealer sent me a set of wedges and installed them myself and they made a bit of a difference. My situation is a bit more complicated. i also installed a hydro dynamics skid plate as well. It cut my holeshot time damn near in half. I wouldn't be against a CB foil. I'm gonna wait at this point. Its been a long road. The porpoising is much better. It still struggles to get on plane quickly with a tournament load. I believe its the nature of my boat and motor set up. (175 sho)
    Good luck,
    EC