115 2stroke Trouble starting while tilted

I have a 2003 115hp 2+2. Noob question. Does having the motor tilted up have an effect on it starting? I was trying to start it after rebuilding the fuel pump. It would not start. I then trimmed down and it fired right up. I have never thought about the tilt trim and it’s effect on starting. It was out of the water and I had muffs on. Of course I always have it trimmed down while in the water.

2. Member
    My 98 115 2+2 doesn't like to start when it is tilted up either. It could be a safety feature for the motor maybe preventing you from starting it out of the water? I don't know but mine does it too. It will stay running if I start it up and tilt it all the way up, but wont start tilted way up.

3. Member
    .... All the Fuel Drains out.

4. Moderator
    It’s really simple. When it’s trimmed up your effecting the fuel systems design. First it changes fuel level in the carbs bowls but the biggest reasons they are more difficult to start trimmed up is if cold and needs help from the enrichment circuit it works mainly from gravity and trimmed up and fuel can’t gravitate up. Lastly same idea for fuel thru the carbs. Fuel has to be pulled/ drawn into the motor from vacuum built in crankcase. It can draw that fuel better when running vs cranking because of the increased vacuum effect when running. When trimmed up it requires the fuel to be drawn up into the crankcase vs level or even drawn down when motor is tucked down. So hopefully this answers your original question

5. Member
    Thanks for the explanation guys. It makes total sense, I just never thought of it. I just tilt the motor down to start it and if I am in shallow water I will let it warm a bit and then tilt up to move.

6. Member
    yup
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Awesome. Thanks so much.

8. Member
    Yes it will stop starting. My 200hp will do that every time.