Do you think I have a problem?

I put up a garage for the boat 3 years ago. The boat is always in the same spot.

A while ago I noticed these marks on the garage floor. They seem to be getting worse. I moved the boat back a few inches from where it normally is to take the picture.

Why would the mark for the right tire be so much more pronounced than the left tire?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zelmo; 09-26-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: addition
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Could just be the finish or sealer on the concrete. The only thing on the tire side that would do that is if one is hotter than the other when you park it or if they ewre different tires.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member

USA

It could be the floor or something may have gotten on the tire OR you might have leaking bearing or seal on that side.

Does the right tire show any different wear then the other tire? Possibly, when you hook up the tow vehicle it is not perfectly straight with the trailer and the right tire pivots slightly when you pull forward.

Is it a single axle? I have to park fairly close to one wall. If I have to get to that side I swing the bow to the right to gain access. On the other hand, I don't have any unusual marks on my garage floor either.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Do your axles have brakes? Brake dust? Does your dog pee on your tires?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    I would seriously doubt you are putting it in the same exact spot every time it looks the same size on both tires just one is blacker.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

On the roads you pull your boat on...is there a tar line or something nasty on the shoulder side of the lane?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

9. Banned
    When you back in do you cut it sharp to move the tongue over,? If so its just scrubbing.

I would guess the moisture is traveling through the concrete more on one side, and I would say no issue
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Could just be the finish or sealer on the concrete. The only thing on the tire side that would do that is if one is hotter than the other when you park it or if they ewre different tires.
    I was worried about one tire running hotter than the other which is why I asked the question. I think though that you have found the answer. The tire leaving he heavier mark was changed a couple of years ago and it is a different brand than the original tire. I was actually surprised when I took the picture that the left tire had any mark as I didn't remember that being there before. That tire was changed about a month ago to the same brand tire that is on the right side.

I think that is it and if the mark under the left tire keeps getting bigger that will confirm it.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    To me it looks like the tire leaving the larger/more pronounced mark is most likely because that side of the road has more road crap/oil/antifreeze/etc on it. Either that, or the different brands and age of tire could also be just as possible. I don’t believe you have a problem.

My initial thought was that maybe maybe you move the tongue side to side and it pivots on the tire that doesn’t leave a mark and therefore the other tire is moving back and forth leaving more of a mark.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    Looks like road tar. Try cleaning with a degreaser. If it cleans up probably road tar. If the slab wasn’t sealed it wouldn’t clean up completely.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    To clean your garage floor if a degreaser won’t work try this...and don’t laugh til you try it! Get a 2 by 4 block about 10” long. Get some oil dry, the kitty litter type they use at an auto repair shop.

Put some oil dry down then take the 2 by 4 and start rolling it in circles grinding it in, it will turn to dust and pull any petroleum based product up.

An an old man taught me this when I was building a race car at his shop and let oil dry on his floor that was clean enough to eat off of! It’s a tip I’ll never forget!!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Could the right tire be installed on the rim backwards?