Questions for guys not in a club and want to be

This is going to be a weird conversation but dont know how to ask it properly. So i will give it a shot.

First I will start with I fish mainly with my brother, so team format is a must for me. I also have twins boys and would like to fish a tourney with them sometimes as well but don't want to pay club fees for both kids and they will only fish 1 tourney or so with me. So basically I would like to have a club that basically you enter your boat and pay a club fee for the boat, not an individual person. I also like to fish many different places. Another big + would be low entry fees. I think the low entry fees helps with a lot of problems. It helps more people to be able to tx fish. I think more people would take kids. Also you don't get as much of the rift raft if you know what I mean. I want to fish for the competition, not make a living at it. I am sure everyone has their own opinions on what makes a good, better or best tx, but that is mine.

So another question I have is, I have noticed a lot more people on here from my area. Do yall fish a club? Do you want to fish a club? Why/why not?

I also would like to see more kids tx. 2 Kids and a boat captain.

Another question on a legal note. Can I say hey show up here for a tx next week? Does it have to be set up as a business?

My wheel are just spinning a little. Let me know what yall think.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Come fish with us Roger. Always looking for a few more boats. We are small and average around 15 boats usually. I would love to have 20-25 as an average, but there are quite a few other smaller clubs that have been in place for some time that keep the overall numbers lower. I run a small series that fishes the Rapp, Pamunkey, Mattaponi, and the Chick. We fish more on the Rapp but I stay on tidal water all year. Entry fees are $80/event with a $30 one time reg fee to cover end of year expenses and extra money to to the classic. Based on 100% payback. You have to fish four events to qualify for the classic, or win one reg season event which will also claim you a spot. Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you this years schedule so you can see how the format is.

3. Member
    Thanks for the invite. I sent you a PM. Also I am so glad someone fishes the Mattaponi.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    To answer your question, there is a youth tournament series that maybe has a 1 to 2 tournaments a year and I believe that their main tournament will be on Gaston next year. They are rebuilding right now under new leadership and were successful this year and still looking to grow and have more volunteers to support it. For more information, visit VA Youth BASS

Regarding clubs, I personally fish Nasa Langley Bassmasters. We have maybe 10 tournaments each year and tournament entries are usually $21 ($15 tournament, $5 Big Fish, $1 pool for big fish over 5lbs). We will primarily fish around the tidewater area to include James/Chick river, Chick Lake, Lake Chesdin, Beaverdam, Nottoway, Pamunkey, and sometimes Kerr/Gaston. We primarily do a draw a few days before the tournament, but will allow boaters to bring guests a few times each year if there's not enough co anglers. Currently, we average maybe 5 to 7 boats per tournament and it's usually just a bunch of getting together for a good time on the water without breaking the bank. Plus our club is also associated with VA Bass Region 8 and half of us fish that as well while others in our club will fish the Hooker Bait and Tackle tournaments out of Route 5 on the Chick which you can fish as a team or single.

There are plenty of options out there, especially if you want to primarily fish the Chick River. If you want to fish more on Kerr/Gaston, ABA has a draw tour that rotates between Kerr, Gaston, & the Chick River that costs around $70/tournament.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    I would look at the FOM legacy series

6. Joe4d
    Dont have to join a club , plenty of 2 man tournys, ABA, Various marinas,,

7. Member
    Fishers of men dude. You will love it with your kids. legacy is the youth series team series is for the adults. The kids series is wonderful. We have a open tournament on Anna October 13. No membership fee. Scales are legit tournaments for kids with a adult. We flirted with 30 boats before. But always have 15 plus. Anna is a popular one.
    Heres the director post he put out. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...content_filter

check us out. Hope this open fits in to the schedule.

Other good links for fishers of men.
    https://www.fomntt.com/allevents.cfm
    scroll down to Virginia east legacy. Look at all of Virginia.

More info.
    https://www.fomntt.com/divisioninfo....0&getyear=2018

8. Member
    So if my son wanted to do the VA Youth BASS tournaments he/we would have to join a club? What club? Any? Youth club?
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    To answer your question, there is a youth tournament series that maybe has a 1 to 2 tournaments a year and I believe that their main tournament will be on Gaston next year. They are rebuilding right now under new leadership and were successful this year and still looking to grow and have more volunteers to support it. For more information, visit VA Youth BASS

Regarding clubs, I personally fish Nasa Langley Bassmasters. We have maybe 10 tournaments each year and tournament entries are usually $21 ($15 tournament, $5 Big Fish, $1 pool for big fish over 5lbs). We will primarily fish around the tidewater area to include James/Chick river, Chick Lake, Lake Chesdin, Beaverdam, Nottoway, Pamunkey, and sometimes Kerr/Gaston. We primarily do a draw a few days before the tournament, but will allow boaters to bring guests a few times each year if there's not enough co anglers. Currently, we average maybe 5 to 7 boats per tournament and it's usually just a bunch of getting together for a good time on the water without breaking the bank. Plus our club is also associated with VA Bass Region 8 and half of us fish that as well while others in our club will fish the Hooker Bait and Tackle tournaments out of Route 5 on the Chick which you can fish as a team or single.

There are plenty of options out there, especially if you want to primarily fish the Chick River. If you want to fish more on Kerr/Gaston, ABA has a draw tour that rotates between Kerr, Gaston, & the Chick River that costs around $70/tournament.
    Semper Fi

9. Member
    I see FOM has the Legacy series. That is for youth too.
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    So if my son wanted to do the VA Youth BASS tournaments he/we would have to join a club? What club? Any? Youth club?
    I'm not sure to be honest with you. You'd have to contact Holly and she's supposedly responds back fairly quick.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

11. Joe4d
    I was with Blue and Grey BM out of VA Beach back in the 90's. Was a good group, we fished for points, to see who would go to Mr Bass, or the 6 man regional. Then we seemed to get on this membership kick, got a handful of people in, then money tourny's for the club events got voted in. Basically split the club and it ended up dying.
    Id be interested in a points or Trophy club. But not any of these affiliated clubs, too many layers of organizations to join and pay dues, and the payouts at the region/state level are flat out ripoffs... Or at least they were. No idea now.
    Not to mention just to much cheating going on when u bring in money.
    I may end up doing some ABA again being as how I now live across from the Chick. Just depends on the draw field and some of the rules. Id rather fish alone though.
    Gary,,, ( cant remember last name) is still running them . Same guy I remember from 25 years ago,, I catch him on the ferry every now and then.

12. Member
    I see FOM has the Legacy series. That is for youth too.
    There is an open legacy tournament on Anna out of Anna Point Marina on the 13th. One adult one youth under 19.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

13. Member
    My son and I have fished 1 tournament on Anna already........0 fish . Probably fish that lake 5 times and only caught 5 fish. Just can't seem to figure out anything at Anna. I did catch a 4lb though.
    Semper Fi

14. Member
    My son and I have fished 1 tournament on Anna already........0 fish . Probably fish that lake 5 times and only caught 5 fish. Just can't seem to figure out anything at Anna. I did catch a 4lb though.

I cant catch any fish on Anna either. That is why I like Gaston and the Mattaponi. I can most of the time catch a couple.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    I was with Blue and Grey BM out of VA Beach back in the 90's. Was a good group, we fished for points, to see who would go to Mr Bass, or the 6 man regional. Then we seemed to get on this membership kick, got a handful of people in, then money tourny's for the club events got voted in. Basically split the club and it ended up dying.
    Id be interested in a points or Trophy club. But not any of these affiliated clubs, too many layers of organizations to join and pay dues, and the payouts at the region/state level are flat out ripoffs... Or at least they were. No idea now.
    Not to mention just to much cheating going on when u bring in money.
    I may end up doing some ABA again being as how I now live across from the Chick. Just depends on the draw field and some of the rules. Id rather fish alone though.
    Gary,,, ( cant remember last name) is still running them . Same guy I remember from 25 years ago,, I catch him on the ferry every now and then.

I agree with what you say. Yep the dues here and dues there gets old. Qualify for this and that. I am no that good but don't mind donating a little here and there
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

16. Member
    Roger, I am not a great fisherman myself and prefer not to donate my money and not win some back. Factor in dues, how/when/where, and time start and finish times. Too many restrictions and limited time for myself on water is reason I prefer just to fish. If I want to fish a open tournament I can.