Thread: New dobyns rods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New dobyns rods

anyone had a chance to get their hands on the new dobyns rods. There priced at $550 😳. Seems a lil steep to me. Hard to believe they could be that much better than the champ extremes.

2. Member
    Cosmetically the Dobyns Rods look as sharp as any aside from MB. Warranty is top not as is customer service. I always felt like the blanks were good at the techniques they were intended for just not as sensitive as rods in that price point. Hopefully the sensitivity will be similar to a K2, NRX. Upper tier MB, etc.

Would love to see more info. A while back I believe this was going to be the Zeta series?
    Last edited by kickerfish1; 09-27-2018 at 08:12 AM.

3. Banned
    Xtasy

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Xtasy

Yes thats them

6. Member
    I just got a 754c and 755c in today. Haven’t had time to look at them, hope to carry them to the pond for a few minutes, busy planting, so no boat time for me this weekend....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    Cosmetically the Dobyns Rods look as sharp as any aside from MB. Warranty is top not as is customer service. I always felt like the blanks were good at the techniques they were intended for just not as sensitive as rods in that price point. Hopefully the sensitivity will be similar to a K2, NRX. Upper tier MB, etc.

Would love to see more info. A while back I believe this was going to be the Zeta series?
    That has been my experience as well. Bought a dx745 and 755(?) and wasn't impressed by the sensitivity.

These new sticks look promising, and at that price point I'm sure they're dialed in

8. Member
    The main problem I have with Dobyns is they are charging American and Japanese produced rod prices on a rod made in Korea and China. St. Croix's new Legend Elite has Fuji Torzite guides and a better blank made in USA and it is less than an overseas produced Dobyns. Now before guys get defensive let me say that I don't think Dobyns rods, or most other overseas rods are bad, Dobyns might have one of the best foreign made rods I ever saw but I feel they are overpriced considering they are made overseas. The Champion series should be $150-$165 and the Extreme should be in the $200 - $215 range and this new series should be around $325 - $340 range, that would put it in line with country of origin production.

9. Member
    all rods are way over price. Legend extremes should be $280 max and NRX should be $300 max
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    The main problem I have with Dobyns is they are charging American and Japanese produced rod prices on a rod made in Korea and China. St. Croix's new Legend Elite has Fuji Torzite guides and a better blank made in USA and it is less than an overseas produced Dobyns. Now before guys get defensive let me say that I don't think Dobyns rods, or most other overseas rods are bad, Dobyns might have one of the best foreign made rods I ever saw but I feel they are overpriced considering they are made overseas. The Champion series should be $150-$165 and the Extreme should be in the $200 - $215 range and this new series should be around $325 - $340 range, that would put it in line with country of origin production.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    all rods are way over price. Legend extremes should be $280 max and NRX should be $300 max
    What you said Kerch

I have various versions of most of the rods listed (Dobyns Extreme HP, G Loomis GLX/NRX, St Croix Avid, etc.) above and could not agree more. All are great rods but a good bit overpriced. I recently picked up a couple US made ALX rods to try and I personally have not used too many rods that can compare in the $200 range. Not as nice looking as the Dobyns or as light as the loomis but fine rods in their own right.

12. Member
    ThAts why I buy everything used! Just got a dobyns 743hp for 225$ only way to go! They are the most balanced rods out there

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    A dealer told me that Loomis prices are high because of their generous warranties. I suspect a lot of people abuse the warranty making them more expensive for honest fisherman. For example, I have seen many OP's selling wild cards in the classified. You may be able to get away with it but it is just not right. These are probably the same kinds of people who break rods on purpose to get new ones because they can get away with it.

14. Member
    Truth be told, many of those so called Japanese rods are made in China or Korea too.

15. Member
    yeah i was baffled when i first bought my first megabass U.S destroyer and saw the made in china sticker... great rod nonetheless but still a lot of pricey rods made in China and Korea i have to say.

16. Member
    Toray nano technology is nothing new. Lots of other companies uses 24T,30T,40T, etc., blanks.

Do you know which companies?
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Do you know which companies?
    Google Toray nano technology fishing rod. First page is mostly fly fishing and then just keep on page after page. There's a lot of companies that use it.

19. Member
    Nanoalloy was introduced by Toray in 2013.

Olympic LTD has been using it thier blanks for at least 3 years. I believe they supply Evergreen Japan and several other rod brands with their blanks.

I have a Luxxe Efreet (Gamakatsu) and a Luxxe Oltre and they both utilize Nanoalloy. The Efreet and the higher end Evergreens utilize the 1100G Toray Graphite. Both the Luxxe's are 100% made in Japan.

Dobyn's makes no mention of what the "latest Nano" technology they are actually utlilizing, but it is probobly not anything that is actually "new". Maybe new to them.

Considering the rods do have AAAA cork and Tit and Torzite guides I highly doubt they are utilizing the top tier Toray material at that price point, even if they are made in China, but it's possible.

Olympic actually has a very educational link on their website.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing...al-technology/

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaftm45 View Post
    Nanoalloy was introduced by Toray in 2013.

Olympic LTD has been using it thier blanks for at least 3 years. I believe they supply Evergreen Japan and several other rod brands with their blanks.

I have a Luxxe Efreet (Gamakatsu) and a Luxxe Oltre and they both utilize Nanoalloy. The Efreet and the higher end Evergreens utilize the 1100G Toray Graphite. Both the Luxxe's are 100% made in Japan.

Dobyn's makes no mention of what the "latest Nano" technology they are actually utlilizing, but it is probobly not anything that is actually "new". Maybe new to them.

Considering the rods do have AAAA cork and Tit and Torzite guides I highly doubt they are utilizing the top tier Toray material at that price point, even if they are made in China, but it's possible.

Olympic actually has a very educational link on their website.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing...al-technology/
    How much do the rods that you mentioned (own) cost new? Only available from Japan markets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast