Thread: New dobyns rods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Not cheap.

The Efreet is is around $460, and only has SS/SIC guide train, but uses the 1100G blank. The Oltre is around $650 has a T/T guide train, but does not use the 1100G blank, but still might be considered the GOAT in sensitivity as is uses a titanium tip.

The Olympic Vigore runs around $380, has a 1100G Blank, utilized titanium guides, but not sure about the inserts. Made in Japan. On paper an excellent value. (I don't own one)

These are very light rods (the Olympic Vigore 7'4 Heavy Power weighs in at 124 grams)

Top of the line Evergreens with T1100G blanks and T/T guide trains run over $700.

Yes, Japan market only, you haven't seen them at BPS or TWH. You won't get a warranty and you will pay an arm and a leg in shipping.

My point is not to rag on the new Dobyn's line of rods, just put the price into perspective. Although they are too vague on their blank material (on purpose I believe)
    I like another poster on this thread shook my head when I recieved my 1st Megabass rod that had a big ass China sticker plastered to it. (although I love that rod!)
    If you are a Dobyns fan, I would go for it. They got the cork, they got the top tier guide train and they are not nearly as ugly as their past line of rods.
    Last edited by Aquaftm45; 10-11-2018 at 10:20 PM.

2. Member
    Yikes...this pic if from the TWH page for the rod. Check out the jacked up wrap on the guide, not a great posterchild.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The thread in the wrap not being straight? For the price I agree things should be perfect but that wouldn't offend me - I am however by no means an "enthusiast". I generally use my Dobyns for 2 years then send them back and trade them in on an entirely new set of rods.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaftm45 View Post
    Not cheap.

The Efreet is is around $460, and only has SS/SIC guide train, but uses the 1100G blank. The Oltre is around $650 has a T/T guide train, but does not use the 1100G blank, but still might be considered the GOAT in sensitivity as is uses a titanium tip.

The Olympic Vigore runs around $380, has a 1100G Blank, utilized titanium guides, but not sure about the inserts. Made in Japan. On paper an excellent value. (I don't own one)

These are very light rods (the Olympic Vigore 7'4 Heavy Power weighs in at 124 grams)

Top of the line Evergreens with T1100G blanks and T/T guide trains run over $700.

Yes, Japan market only, you haven't seen them at BPS or TWH. You won't get a warranty and you will pay an arm and a leg in shipping.

My point is not to rag on the new Dobyn's line of rods, just put the price into perspective. Although they are too vague on their blank material (on purpose I believe)
    I like another poster on this thread shook my head when I recieved my 1st Megabass rod that had a big ass China sticker plastered to it. (although I love that rod!)
    If you are a Dobyns fan, I would go for it. They got the cork, they got the top tier guide train and they are not nearly as ugly as their past line of rods.

Why do the JDM rods and reels cost so much more? Are they really superior to what’s sold over here?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Why do the JDM rods and reels cost so much more? Are they really superior to what’s sold over here?

It's a really good question. As someone stated below, many (actually most) of the JDM rods and many of the reels are not made in Japan. I can think of a handful of actual Japananese made rods that *might be* superior to what you could buy stateside, but these are boutique brands and for all I know they might not be any better than a custom you buy stateside.
    Japan sells many rods in the 100-200 price range at thier local pro-shops, just like the US, most are made in China.
    I will say that Dobyn's could have done better quality control when giving TW a rod for pictures. A jacked up rod wrap in inexcusable on a $200 rod, much less a $500 rod. NRX had the same problem.

I just ordered a 753 Xtasy - will post my thoughts when I get it.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I just ordered a 753 Xtasy - will post my thoughts when I get it.

Just received it - overall build quality is excellent as you would expect. All guides, threading are perfect. The AAAA cork is the nicest I have ever seen on a fishing rod. I ordered the 753 which is 7'5" fast action 3 power. The Extreme HP rods have a crisp, fast action that I really like - this rod feels similar in power and action to the extreme series. The thing that immediately stands out to me about this Xtasy is that this rod feels lighter than one of my favorite rods the Extreme HP 741, yet its an inch longer and 2 powers heavier. I'll put it through its paces on coldwater smallmouth soon.

9. Member
    I have to agree with the above comments. When you first pick up the rod it will amaze you how unbelievably light it is. And I don’t mean feels light because it is balanced well, they are LIGHT. Cork is the best I’ve ever seen on a rod. Very powerful rods with crisp fast action.

10. Member
    with the 30 percent off that I get from Dobyns I might buy one to try it out. I really missed my 704c HP that I sold a while back.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

11. Member
    Just me but I will have to pass for that price. I can buy 2 American made Cara 's or 2 rods from alx made here in America and have money left over

If price is a primary concern then you can add this rod to a list of high end rods that you definitely do not want to consider.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaftm45 View Post
    I felt the same way when I got my first megabass rod. Would love to try a ALX rod(even more with them being from my home state). Just can not stand a split grip rod.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12