Internal water PSI

My buddy has an 2004 115 Suzuki 4-stroke. The salt water has really corroded the coolant passages in the head. It made a hole behind the exhaust valve. There was not much to work with but we welded up the hole and pressure checked it. It will hold 20 PSI all day long but will start seeping at 40 PSI. Since an outboard does have a pressurized system do you think it work under lite use?

2. Member
    Welded. Did you remove the head? Since it got "corroded" had the sacrificial anodes been changed in its lifetime? You say by the exhaust valve, do you mean inside the combustion chamber? If it weeps at 40 PSI and is inside the head how do you think it will do at 125 P S I compression? If it's external I doubt it will ever see that kind of pressure and if it did a weep wouldn't be fatal (I don't think) but heat cycling brings out the worst in things.

I see lots of Zuki 115-140 power heads in local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, but now that you need one, they will dry up.

Yes the head is pulled. The bad spot is not in the combustion chamber. It is right behind the valve seat in the exhaust port. I pulled out the guide and the seat and ground out the area and welded the area back up. I cut the seat out and pressed it back it and it looks good. It will hold 20psi all day in the pressure test tank but when I take it up to 40psi it bubbles a little bit. IN a car system it will not work but I'm thinking in a outboard it should be fine for quite a while.
    Last edited by basscatlildave; 09-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.

4. Member
    My Suzi has pressure but it's not a closed system like a car. The pee tube makes sure of that as well as I think some may go out the exhaust, but only as much as the pump pumps, I guess it goes without saying. Some spots may see pressure some more along the line of flow.
    I hope you're successful with the seat replacement, the way I see seats they are slightly reverse tapered on the side and then the head area is distorted to hold them in with an interference fit. When you lose a valve seat that indicates a lot of heat and/or poor installation. I've lost valve seats on air cooled stuff.

I may be wrong, I bet against Colombus and he was right. Set sail in 1492 with his 4 ships, the Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria and the Chuck.