Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You got a ton of good advice already, but figured throwing this in there might offer some incremental help. Early last year I made a post about getting better at fishing swim jigs. That thread was just awesome with all the info and tips guys suggested for me in that one. Here's a link to it.

Then, almost exactly a year later, there was this thread that also had an absolute ton of good information in it.

Maybe you can get some helpful stuff from there!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Awesome, thanks! I’ll keep reading, and keep throwing it...0 for 4 last night with it! I’m gonna get these bassturds!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    With your help I can successfully say I can throw a swim jig with confidence now! The eel grass is becoming just slimy and starting to winterize itself in the small lake I fish by my house and the wind was blowing hard enough that I couldn’t find the empty bluegill bed holes in the 6-9’ deep area so I threw exactly what the good Dr told me to and I caught 4 bass and 3 chain pickerel on my new BFF the swim jig!

I’ve never caught a chain pickerel in a Pasco County lake so to catch 4 in one day (another one got a jerkbait) really blows me away! The 4 bass were 2, 2.5, 3 & 3.5 pounds and each hit was different. I got to watch the smallest one come from about 10 feet to engulf it! I couldn’t believe he got that big jig and trailer in his mouth but I watched it, felt it, then set the hook.

2 of the hits felt like when bluegill are pecking at your spinnerbait, so I just slowed my reeling down and soon enough my rod was doubled over, all I had to do was react.

Seriously thank you all! I’m no expert yet but one cast I threw down a lane of pads and the bass was exactly where I thought it would be, and it was the biggest of the day....yeah two 3.5’s were my biggest today but I got 9 in the boat and 4 pickerel by 11am so I’m happy for today.

BBC to the rescue again!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    Glad to hear you had success! Once you gain more confidence in the bait, the possibilities are endless....colors, trailers, skirt/no skirt, and a whole multitude of retrieves will come into play at certain times!

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Glad to hear you had success! Once you gain more confidence in the bait, the possibilities are endless....colors, trailers, skirt/no skirt, and a whole multitude of retrieves will come into play at certain times!
    Yes, the possibilities are endless, which is why I simplify my swim jig and trailer selection. About 80% of the time I fish a 1/4 ounce black/blue swim jig with a black/blue trailer. About 10% of the time a 1/4 ounce green pumpkin swim jig with a green pumpkin trailer. The other 10% of the time I fish the same two colors, but in a heavier weight. I only carry two trailers - Zoom Super Chunk Jr. or a Zoom Z Craw. Note: I only fish a heavy cover swim jig around heavy cover. For open water, I use other techniques.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12