Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I may buy some Hot Sauce to try it out. I asked my wife how my boat looks. Her response was it looks nice but it doesn't have that look like her dads 3 month old Nitro. I asked why. She thinks its that the boat, which is mostly white, maybe has an off white color to it. I read on the Pro Tec restore kit and they use sand paper to take off the oxidation. I am not sure if my boat is really oxidized or not. Compared to the boats i've seen online, it is not, but it doesn't have that new shineyness, (its shiney but, like mentioned above, it is not the same as my father in law's new nitro). It is 20 years old. I think it was garage kept and taken good care of but I'm not sure if it ever had a good cleaning.

2. Member
    You could try 3m finesse it on a polisher to clean it up. Does a real good job at bringing the shine back. Then use protec sealer on it.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d start with a clay bar, or a synthetic clay bar nowadays and work and area, wax/polish is up and compare. When I clayed my trucks hood a couple weeks ago I was like...Damn!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    That general 'shinyness' is lost over time by just wiping down paint (and in this instance, gel coat). Towels, ESPECIALLY dry, and/or anything less than premium microfiber towels will swirl paint. The least amount of towel that I'll touch paint with is 360 gsm microfiber. Those won't scratch paint. Of course anything better, say 530 gsm is even better to have on hand. Then there are other types of microfiber weaves, where the 360's, 400's & 530's alike are a closed loop, course weave, there are also fine weave towels that are still closed loop. On top of that... split weave towels are available that are MUCH thicker, and MUCH softer.

Think of closed loop towels as the ones that drag on your skin/fingers/hands where split weave tend not to. My wife for one gets the heebie jeebies with closed loop towels as she's a title manager in an office all day and millions of paper cuts the last 50 years just make her hands to where they do NOT like microfiber towels. LOL

To the mention of sanding your gel coat. There is NO WAY I'd take that on as the first option! Instead, invest in a Porter Cable DA buffer, or the Griot Garage unit (the GG is far superior btw). Then invest in 4 or so heavy cut microfiber pads, 4 more medium cut pads, and 4 each of heavy, medium heavy, and medium cut foam pads. With that you'll have enough pads to likely cover most boating problems, as well as all your vehicles as well. :-)

The #1 thing you want to remember when correcting paint (or gel coat) is the LEAST aggressive method is the one you want to use first. If that doesn't give you the desired results, THEN move to the next level aggressive method. Never EVER go in with the most aggressive method first. That's a baaaaaaaaad idea.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

5. Member
    I would not use a clay bar on gel coat.

I love the hot sauce. Removes water spots and is also a sealer. Just spray and let sit for a few secs and wipe with clean microfiber towel. Wax a few times a year.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Pro-tec products for me. Factory recommended! My two boats that I sold, were like new!! My current one is the same...looking new! It is an 05 model, built in late 04!

8. Member
    Below water line I've NEVER waxed a boat. Have always had light colored hulls and when discoloration occurs I'll use "The Works" from the Dollar Store put on with a sponge mop...and hose it off. Above water line I'll spray Meguiar's Quick Detailer & wipe off with whatever cotton towels I have. I've mentioned this on here before. I watched a neighbor for 2 days applying some sort of cleaner/wax to his sailboat hull while laying underneath it. He was shocked at the instantaneous results of The Works & asked me why I didn't tell him sooner? He finished using a bottle & mop I gave him.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    If you use a modern polymer product like BBS, Slick Mist, etc., and absolutely use it after every outing and that means at least once every month, I am not sure an annual wax is necessary. The polymer products do the exact same thing as wax to seal pores and protect from UV, it just does not last as long.
    Mine is 20 yrs log and still look new.

10. Member
    Lol so much for clearing up the confusion.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    After speaking with a few people about the best way to detail, I keep it simple and am happy with the result. Like stated above, I always wipe it down at the ramp before I trailer home. 2-3 times per year I will apply Pro-tec sealant. It goes on just like wax does and comes off just as easily. I use micro fibre cloths for washing and adding the Pro-tec sealant.

Pro-tec is different from wax. You will still get that "shine and sparkle" once you're done, but it seals the fibreglass pores to help protect against weathering from the sun. I have an 08 Basscat and they always suggest Pro-tec products and even though it sits in my driveway from April- Nov, still looks brand new. I would highly suggest Pro-tec sealant.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

I don't know if this will clear up your confusion. I've used BTS for years with outstanding results. It will remove wax and contaminants. Most products work but BTS has worked best for me.

https://www.btsproducts.com/

Just remember everyone has an opinion so good luck.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

13. Member
    Let me add to the confusion. This works for me:

1. Wash boat with Dawn detergent (removes oily contaminants and prepares surface for #2 and #3).
    2. Apply Collinite No. 920 (boat cleaner) following instructions on bottle.
    3. Apply Collinite No. 935 (wax) following instructions on bottle.

Step back, admire and post pics on BBC.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I think I may have washed my boat once in the three years I've had it. I always wipe the boat down with Bass Boat Saver when I pull out of the water. 2 or 3 times a year I apply Pro-Tec sealant.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’m gonna throw a little wrench in here and ask about Hot Sauce. I picked up a large spray bottle yesterday and I sprayed my motor down this morning...boy oh boy, I now know why it’s called Hot Sauce...it smells!

Now my question, I have used an Eagle spray wax/detailer on my boat after every outing. I was under the impression that the Hot Sauce would be a similar product but it’s much thinner and while it does leave a nice shine I’m not sure how much of a “protectant” it is.

I got the Hot Sauce because SO many people on here swear by it so...opinions on how to best use it?
    Hot sauce is terrible. Nothing more than good marketing of a product that is nothing more than a 50/50 mix of Vinegar and water. That's why is smells so bad, and it does a horrible job as well. Waste of 20 bucks. The Lucas products have my money. I've used a lot of different products and the Lucas line by far are the best.
    2008 Triton TR-196 - Mercury Optimax 200 - 25p Tempest prop

16. Member
    Well , that should have settled all your confusion.

17. Member
    for most cleaning, i use rain x waterless cleaner. i also use Meguiar's gold class quick wax. once or twice a season i hit it with the orbital and some sort of light polish or swirl remover and then use carnuba wax on it.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

18. Banned
    Lets be honest here. If your boat's gel coat is in good condition you can keep it in that condition if you properly protect it from UV. It's the UV that causes damage and oxidation. Pick your choice of wash, wax, sealant, coating, whatever and use it regularly to maintain that protection. Your gel coat will stay looking newer, longer, with less effort required to maintain it.

That being said I use Meguiar's Gold Class car wash whenever needed. Ardex Express Wax 4200 a couple times a year. I'll buff it with Stereo Glaze once a year just to remove surface scratches and swirls. Wiped down with EagleOne Marine Wax-as-u-dry after every trip. All of those products contain carnuba and UV inhibitors, except for Stereo Glaze, which is just a very light polish.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    There are alot of products with all sorts of names out there to clean your boat. I've read alot of threads about it and am completely confused now.

There is wax, polishing, cleaning compound, wax and cleaner, etc (not too mention buffing stuff). Could some one make it simple for me?

I bought bass boat saver and bow to stern. Not sure wish product i will use but i know I want to use one of these after each use. I'm confused on what to use on the boat once or twice per year? I read that gel coat has pores and waxing doesn't really fill in these pores compared to other products (not sure what the other products are). Is Pro Tec good? What is your process/order of products?

Is there a product you need to put on 1st before you put wax on the boat? Does BBS or BTS take off wax?
    Yes, this is very confusing. A wax is a sealant to protect the finish. Polishes, compounds and "cleaner waxes" typically have some level of abrasives to remove scratches, stains or oxidation. You only use these if your hull has stains, scratches or oxidation that you need to address before applying a sealant (and a cleaner wax has both the abrasives and the sealant). You should always use the least aggressive product you can get away with to avoid overly aging your product (since abrasives are designed to remove some gelcoat).

In terms of waxes, a traditional Carnauba wax will give you the best shine but a synthetic wax will bond better and last longer which is very compelling in my book. Spray waxes are very good to touch up your boat throughout the season after usage. Lucas Oil Slick Mist is very popular for this purpose.

Here is an article that explains the different types of products to detail your boat: http://bit.ly/2Eo5pyz It also explains the difference between "boat wash", "hull cleaners" and "bottom cleaners" which can also be confusing.
    2019 Tracker 195 TXW
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

20. Banned
    The difference between regular wax and cleaner wax is that cleaner wax contains a certain percentage of some type of solvent. No abrasives. The solvent is there to help remove surface contaminants, like bugs, tar, whatever.

Whatever you use, use it often. Polymer or wax, doesn't matter. The sun is brutal on boat finishes, and that included the protective layer you apply. So, if you are using wax then properly wax that boat twice a year. Wipe it down with a wax based detail spray after every trip. Same goes for polymer based products.

Nothing will last an entire year unless your boat never leaves the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast