Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Let me add to the confusion. This works for me:

1. Wash boat with Dawn detergent (removes oily contaminants and prepares surface for #2 and #3).
    2. Apply Collinite No. 920 (boat cleaner) following instructions on bottle.
    3. Apply Collinite No. 935 (wax) following instructions on bottle.

Step back, admire and post pics on BBC.
    This is the Gold Standard for fiberglass boats. I like Collinite Fleet Wax paste, No. 885 for the final coat. The paste wax usually last longer than the liquid but takes more time and effort.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    This is the Gold Standard for fiberglass boats. I like Collinite Fleet Wax paste, No. 885 for the final coat. The paste wax usually last longer than the liquid but takes more time and effort.
    Wax is fine. It's better than nothing. It just doesn't last as long as sealants or ceramic coatings.

Something is definitely better than those who wipe their boat down with vinegar or other alkaline substances. That just strips any protection that may have been on it.

Pro-tec & 3m

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    My boat is 31 yrs old and still looks great, I wet sanded it back in 2011 to remove some oxidized areas on the top cap and have used Pro-tec sealant since I did that and she shines nice and stays clean. I also use BBS when I wipe it down after use or when she get a little dirty from road grime... IMG_4378.JPG
    Last edited by twitch; 06-18-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Wax ? Cleaner ? Polish ? Which one to use.

Waxes, cleaners and polish are different chemical make ups, each do a specific job for the gelcoat.

When detailing your boat to look new:

Cleaners should be used first to remove stains, pollution build up, scum, etc.
    Any of the light compounds should do a good job cleaning the gelcoat with a buffer or hand scrubbing.

For dull gelcoat without much oxidation Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound will being the gel back to new :

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html

For gelcoat that is starting to fade with a light milky white, cloudy appearance, a heavier cut compound used with a buffer or orbital buffer will help remove most light oxidation without wet sanding.

Meguiars heavy duty gel coat cleaner is a good one for light to medium oxidation removal.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-oxi...emover-49.html

Polish should be used next, it will remove almost all of the little swirl and scratch marks from the gel left behind from the cleaning compounds and leave a glossy, glass like finish.

Meguiars Polish :

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-finishing-polish.html

It will then need to be protected with a coat of wax or sealer. I prefer the polymer sealer as it will last 3 times what wax will and bonds to the gelcoat with UV protection in it.

Wax or Sealer goes on last to protect and seal the glossy finish the polish put on. A good High caranuba wax will protect the gel from everyday pollution, make scum lines easier to remove after a day on the water, etc.

Collonite Heavy Duty Fleetwax is one of the best for marine environments :

http://www.waxbytes.com/marine.html

Pro-Tec makes an excellent polymer sealer for the gelcoat, bonds to the glass and seals the pores to help prevent oxidation.
    http://www.protecproducts.com/products.html
    Pro - Tec sealant

Not many of the combo wax / cleaners will work well as the cleaner part is usually a compound type to remove stains, etc while the wax is their to protect the gel.

Kind of like an oxymoron, trying to remove dirt / stains and leave a coat of wax at the same time. Something isn't going to work right.

To really do it right, all 3 should be a separate step.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    After speaking with a few people about the best way to detail, I keep it simple and am happy with the result. Like stated above, I always wipe it down at the ramp before I trailer home. 2-3 times per year I will apply Pro-tec sealant. It goes on just like wax does and comes off just as easily. I use micro fibre cloths for washing and adding the Pro-tec sealant.

Pro-tec is different from wax. You will still get that "shine and sparkle" once you're done, but it seals the fibreglass pores to help protect against weathering from the sun. I have an 08 Basscat and they always suggest Pro-tec products and even though it sits in my driveway from April- Nov, still looks brand new. I would highly suggest Pro-tec sealant.
    have used Protec for years. Best stuff you can use on fiberglass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123