Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Florida Hunting and Fishing Rules????

Amendment 13 to the Florida Constitution is being characterized as an amendment to end wagering (betting) on greyhound races in Florida, but it goes much further than that.
    If Amendment 13 is passed, extreme animal rights organizations will have a new constitutional standard to challenge any and all activities they find objectionable. In short, many suspect their first action will be to immediately begin work to ban all hunting and fishing.

2. Banned
    Here it is, I see nothing about coming after fishing and hunting.

Edit: Actual proposed Bill removed so 'conjecture' can come out and play..

Play on Connie, play on!...
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 09-25-2018 at 04:19 PM.

3. Joe4d
    Well first off I would think if you want to start a thread on a proposed law and ammendment, at least post the actual text or a link to the actual text so that people can discuss it without having to dig for what you are talking about.
    If you read the text, not the summary. Which most people wont bother to do.. and exactly how we end up with stupid laws. While I consider it a stretch I imagine what the OP and like minded individuals are worried about is this line.

The humane treatment of animals is a fundamental value of the people of the State of Florida.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    It’s the “cruel and unnecessary” argument. The went after Greyhound racing because those idiots were treating their dogs like crap, drugging them up and throwing them away when they couldn’t win races anymore. There were so many greyhounds for rescue because their racing careers are short.

The amendment passes and IF the powers that be decide that deer, hogs, ducks, Bass have feelings and should be treated as humans we could therefore no longer hunt them or fish for them...yes it sounds like a stretch but that’s because you’re not crazy!

I know that with pets we give them human traits...I’m a dog lover and do it to my 3 dogs, but there are extreme groups that call hunting murder, murder is one HUMAN killing another HUMAN! We have to, as sportsmen; outdoorsmen;Hunters, Fisherman and Conservationists put our power behind those with the sense to know the difference between a human and a fish...just my opinion.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Banned
    You're so right, I'll remove the actual proposed Bill and You guys can ponder what 'might happen'.

Good Luck with that.

6. Member
    LMAO! Will never happen.
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding--I can post what I received from the NRA, if you want to see the whole bill. The only problem I have with it is if the nut job's decide they want to stop hunting and fishing, this bill will give them some ammo to do so. Just remember the Manatee Zones. I love dogs and hate what they do to greyhounds--Maybe the bill needs to be more specific???

8. Member
    Here is my Biggest Issue with this Bill: I don't know nor do most of the Hunters/Fishers I know. Yet we have been bombarded with the above like comments that IF it passes it could spell the end for all things Hunting and Fishing.

It would be the end for Greyhound Racing. Whether or Not that is a good thing is up to each person.

Then I have also been bombarded with the If Greyhound Racing is banned, Then All Dog Hunting will be Next!

Once again the Bill or a Link to the Bill is never given just the Opinion that whomever is pushing it to be voted down is saying.

Show me the Bill and I will decide for myself.

9. Member
    Here's the skinny ... The proposed amendment is VERY clear. Racing AND wagering, Domestic Dogs. The End.

Prohibition on racing of and wagering on greyhounds or other dogs. - The humane treatment of animals is a fundamental value of the people of the State of Florida. After December 31, 2020, a person authorized to conduct gaming or pari-mutuel operations may not race greyhounds or any member of the Canis Familiaris subspecies in connection with any wager for money or any other thing of value in this state, and persons in this state may not wager money or any other thing of value on the outcome of a live dog race occurring in this state. The failure to conduct greyhound racing or wagering on greyhound racing after December 31, 2018, does not constitute grounds to revoke or deny renewal of other related gaming licenses held by a person who is a licensed greyhound permit holder on January 1, 2018, and does not affect the eligibility of such permit holder, or such permit holder’s facility, to conduct other pari-mutuel activities authorized by general law. By general law, the legislature shall specify civil or criminal penalties for violations of this section and for activities that aid or abet violations of this section.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The bill does read very clear but that’s not what appears on the ballot come judgment day, only the title and summary do as you know. This case went to the Supreme Court of Florida because the lower court ruled that the summary was misleading in saying in the title that the bill “ends greyhound racing” when that’s not what it actually does.

My comment really has nothing to do with this particular bill, just the mindset of a certain group; and after some research I don’t see PETA or other extremist groups providing funding for this bill.

This is why we have elections, to voice our opinions...rarely are most opinions educated though!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Well I'm an avid dog hunter and I definitely know the way they try to sneak stuff in like this. I for one will be voting against it

DATE: September 25, 2018
    TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
    USF Executive Director
    NRA Past President
    You Should OPPOSE AMENDMENT 13 in the General Election
    Amendment 13 to the Florida Constitution is being characterized as an amendment to end wagering (betting) on greyhound races in Florida, but it goes much further than that.
    If Amendment 13 is passed, extreme animal rights organizations will have a new constitutional standard to challenge any and all activities they find objectionable. In short, many suspect their first action will be to immediately begin work to ban all hunting and fishing.
    Amendment 13 includes the phrase:
    “The humane treatment of animals is a fundamental value of the people of the State of Florida.” That language will not appear on the ballot BUT IT IS IN THE AMENDMENT.
    Since reasonable people don’t want animals treated inhumanely, at first blush many Floridians would agree with that statement in general terms. However, there is a vast difference between what the public believes is “inhumane” and what animal rights extremists groups and their supporters would call “inhumane.”
    The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), is the lead organization pushing for Amendment 13’s passage. HSUS opposes hundreds of common and traditional activities involving animals because they claim they are “inhumane.”
    In fact, the list of activities HSUS and other animal extremist organizations find objectionable is huge and includes hunting, fishing, farming, animal husbandry, marine parks and more. That’s what this is really about.
    Those groups even claim that animals shouldn’t be owned as pets because it’s inhumane.
    In short, Amendment 13 is not really about greyhound racing, it’s a front for much more.
    Clearly the intent is to establish a legal foothold in the Florida Constitution that they can use to go after legitimate activities, like hunting, that they don’t like.
    Whether you are voting Absentee, Early Voting or at the Polls on Tuesday, November 6, 2018, please oppose Amendment 13.

13. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Sorry for any misunderstanding--I can post what I received from the NRA, if you want to see the whole bill. The only problem I have with it is if the nut job's decide they want to stop hunting and fishing, this bill will give them some ammo to do so. Just remember the Manatee Zones. I love dogs and hate what they do to greyhounds--Maybe the bill needs to be more specific???
    Yeh my thoughts, too much verbiage that doesnt need to be there. However bill as is will most likely pass as most people never bother to read past the headline.

Probably worth sharing with horse groups as well, Florida is a big equestrian sport state with international events. That the Humane society has targeted.

That is very true but I am trying to be like him and tell everybody I know what might possibly happen might not help but at least I'm trying definitely thank you for the heads up

15. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    Well I'm an avid dog hunter and...
    You sick bastard!! Do you eat them with rice or potatoes?

I know, I know.. It was just too easy, to let slide!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post

Not my kind of hunting!! Never ate it and hope I never have to!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post

Haha buddy you're funny. But if you want to know the secret recipe if you take them and wrap them black bear fur and sprinkle bald eagle feathers all over them, with a side dish of manatee I'm telling you what bone appetit

18. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Haha buddy you're funny. But if you want to know the secret recipe if you take them and wrap them black bear fur and sprinkle bald eagle feathers all over them, with a side dish of manatee I'm telling you what bone appetit
    The manatee in these parts is delish!! There was none better than "Doug's"..

(sorry to hijack)

Exactly !! Get out and vote,don't leave it up to your neighbors,,'cause as seen in recent elections,,Every Vote,May be the vote that wins,in the final tally !!
    Well I'm an avid dog hunter and I definitely know the way they try to sneak stuff in like this. I for one will be voting against it

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    Exactly !! Get out and vote,don't leave it up to your neighbors,,'cause as seen in recent elections,,Every Vote,May be the vote that wins,in the final tally !!
    Yes sir....I got my sample ballot yesterday and started researching bills and stuff to fill out so I will be informed when I go to vote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast