Thread: Anchor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anchor

Do you guys carry an anchor? If so, what kind?

I've had my boat for two seasons now and have had an anchor in the boat for every outing, but have never used it. I've lately thought about ditching it to free up some space, or maybe just downsizing. Right now I have a fluke style, but I think a mushroom would be smaller.

thoughts?

2. Member
    Have spot lock got rid of my anchor. Though it does have a place and time.
    Please release me,let me go.

3. Member
    Used Cajun Anchor until Ultrex.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Banned
    I carry a fluke style anchor. I carry it just in case of emergency. If i were to lose power i don't want to be at the mercy of the current and wind.

5. Member
    Required by law to have anchor here in NY if I am not mistaken. Keep one for the reasons cited by Slonezp

6. Member
    I carry a 10lb mushroom anchor. My waters are relatively shallow compared to other lakes around the country.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

7. Banned
    I carry a 10lb shroom anchor makes house hold 7 happy to just hang out in one spot for a few hours

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    I carry a fluke style anchor. I carry it just in case of emergency. If i were to lose power i don't want to be at the mercy of the current and wind.

This is the reason I got one, but the more I think about it...the lake I fish is pretty narrow, so you're never far from shore, and is heavily trafficked, so help isn't too far away. It's not like I'm fishing one of the great lakes and could be swept out to "sea".

I gave up carrying a anchor years ago.

But do check your state laws, as mentioned above. It required by law in some states.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Joe4d
    depends on where u fish and where u might end up if u go dead in the water. I always carry one for emergencies. Fluke style,, they hold better for their weight than just a mushroom one,

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    This is the reason I got one, but the more I think about it...the lake I fish is pretty narrow, so you're never far from shore, and is heavily trafficked, so help isn't too far away. It's not like I'm fishing one of the great lakes and could be swept out to "sea".
    What about being swept into a rocky shoreline or over a dam?

12. Member
    I keep one in the boat always, but haven’t used it in years. I’m a safety nut...ya never know what will happen out there.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

I always have one in the boat. Haven't used it very often. But I always have it just in case
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

14. Member
    I fish near dams a bunch on the rivers and would never want to be sucked into or over one if I were to lose power. No way I would go on the water without one in the boat.

15. Member
    Mushroom anchors are a joke. It has to be calm in order for them to work. Any wind or current and they are worthless

I carry a mushroom anchor..... This is why..

Several years ago I was fishing with a buddy in his HydraSport boat. The Merc quit and the TM batteries were run down trying to to get to the ramp. We got close to the ramp but could not reach it. The wind was up and blew us into the riprap and scratched the hell out of his boat. If we had an anchor we could have anchored out some and done something better.

I also use it some to anchor and fish a spot...but with the Ultrex I just installed I am not sure I will need it for that anymore....but I will still carry it. I carry a paddle and a flashlight too. I'm old and set in my ways.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Mushroom anchors are a joke. It has to be calm in order for them to work. Any wind or current and they are worthless
    PLUS 1 on that. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I carry a mushroom anchor..... This is why..

Several years ago I was fishing with a buddy in his HydraSport boat. The Merc quit and the TM batteries were run down trying to to get to the ramp. We got close to the ramp but could not reach it. The wind was up and blew us into the riprap and scratched the hell out of his boat. If we had an anchor we could have anchored out some and done something better.

I also use it some to anchor and fish a spot...but with the Ultrex I just installed I am not sure I will need it for that anymore....but I will still carry it. I carry a paddle and a flashlight too. I'm old and set in my ways.
    If you had an anchor other than a mushroom type you could have saved some scratches, the wind would have blown that mushroom right back on the rocks. A coffee can filled with concrete would work better. Anchors have their place it's just that the round design of the mushroom makes it want to slide along the bottom instead of grabbing.

19. Member
    I carry a mushroom anchor in a rubber made bucket that fits perfect in the rear locker of my RT188. I also have a drift sock in the boat. Both have their place.

20. Member
    I carry a Mushroom in my boat I think its a 20lb or 30lb. I love fishing below damns, spotlock is good but it will kill your battery's if your there all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast